Question Negative pressure around the GPU / pcie slots?

lreyes66

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2007
I upgraded my PC case so I could get a 360mm aio mounted on the top of my case to cool a 7950x. I've since added more case fans for better airflow.

I'm trying to create positive air pressure throughout the case so I can keep the dust down for more time in between cleaning. I have 6x 120mm Lian li fans as intakes (3 front, 3 rear), 1x 120mm rear fan as exhaust, and the 3x 120mm radiator fans also as exhaust on the top of my Corsair 5000d airflow case.

I created customer fan curves for each group. All 6 intake fans share the same curve and range between 980 rpm - 1600 rpm and It will go up to 2100rpm if it reaches the max I set it to, which is 85c. Intakes always on and doesn't go below 980 rpm.

The 1 rear exhaust has a similar curve but subtract 100-150rpm less for each temperature point on the curve.

The 3 radiator exhaust fans have a similar curve to the intakes but I have them go higher RPMs when temps get into the 70s.

Overall i definitely have positive pressure when idle/light workload as I verified by lighting a few incense sticks and moving it around every opening without a fan. Smoke would shoot away from gaps/opening as intended. Same when I'm playing a game that isn't too intensive for the GPU fans (gigabyte 4090) to stay on long, if at all. Currently GPU fan curves are using the quiet bios settings but stock curve otherwise.

However, if I set graphics to ultra or launch a graphically intensive game to get the fans to spins and do the incense test again, I noticed that the smoke would spin around the pcie slots openings below and next (slots where you woul vertically mount the GPU) and I noticed some smoke would get sucked in. Every other openings on the PC case would blow smoke out.

Is the GPU fans sucking too much air into the case that it's creating negative pressure in the area below the GPU? Is the only option to turn the intake fans speed up or lower the GPU fan curves?

Trying to find a good balance between temps, performance and quietness + less dust maintenance.