Question Net use asking for username and password

Aug 14, 2020
I have been trying to connect our network printer but it is asking for username and password.

after making a batch file of:
NET USE LPT1: \\computer\printer /y

The password is invalid for \\computername\printer.

Enter the username for 'computername':

and then when I type my credentials as admin, it does not work.

HELP.

TIA.

RealBeast

Titan
To use a network printer it is best to give in a static IP address or at least reserved dynamic (both done in the router) with the address that the printer has or you give it, then install the printer software on the computers that will use it, selecting that printer as you go.

It is always best to give more details like the printer model and your OS to get more specific answers.

I have been trying to connect our network printer but it is asking for username and password.

after making a batch file of:
NET USE LPT1: \\computer\printer /y

The password is invalid for \\computername\printer.

Enter the username for 'computername':

and then when I type my credentials as admin, it does not work.

HELP.

TIA.

That account is for the computer you are connecting to, and it also has to be shared out with the proper rights for others to use it. The user name and PW would be in the form of computername\user name, then the PW for the user. Or setup the share to be used by others such as "everyone" so you don't need to provide the PW.

Aug 14, 2020
To use a network printer it is best to give in a static IP address or at least reserved dynamic (both done in the router) with the address that the printer has or you give it, then install the printer software on the computers that will use it, selecting that printer as you go.

It is always best to give more details like the printer model and your OS to get more specific answers.

Our printer is EPSON-FX 2175ii... hope you can help me on this.. thanks!

Though what you have answered is what we did with our HP and Brother network printer.

RealBeast

Titan
Our printer is EPSON-FX 2175ii... hope you can help me on this.. thanks!

Though what you have answered is what we did with our HP and Brother network printer.
Well since it is a dot matrix printer with only a USB interface or parallel port according to its specification sheet, I would attach it to a computer and use file and printer sharing to allow the other machines to reach it through the machine that it is attached on. That is unless you have some type of other network interface for it.

Aug 14, 2020
Well since it is a dot matrix printer with only a USB interface or parallel port according to its specification sheet, I would attach it to a computer and use file and printer sharing to allow the other machines to reach it through the machine that it is attached on. That is unless you have some type of other network interface for it.

same, we usually do the normal connection and sharing stuffs for the said printer.. I have also checked the folder security and it is the same with the others.. I am just wondering why this certain desktops are asking for the credentials of admin..

Aug 14, 2020
That account is for the computer you are connecting to, and it also has to be shared out with the proper rights for others to use it. The user name and PW would be in the form of computername\user name, then the PW for the user. Or setup the share to be used by others such as "everyone" so you don't need to provide the PW.

it is shared. i even checked the box for the printer to be listed in our directory... i am losing hope..