Netbooks take CES by Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I like the netbooks. I think they are useful and will serve a purpose for a lot of people. Netbooks now are as powerful as our desktops were just a few years ago, so they will handle email, web browsing, small documents and spreadsheets just fine. What else do most people do these days? The keyboard is smaller but OK for writing an email. The screen is smaller, but reasonable for most people that won't stare at it all day.

The netbook is not intended to replace desktops or larger laptops. It may be all that some people need, but other people will buy one to use in addition to their other computer(s).

I remember in the old days when laptops were pretty big, but gradually they got smaller and smaller. Most people using them in those days were business people, so the goal seemed to be a laptop that was physically the same size as a piece of copy paper- 8.5" x 11", then it would easily fit in a briefcase along with other papers. That's still a small machine even by today's standards. Then a few companies brought out low powered machines that were smaller than 8.5x11. I wanted one of those, but before they got popular enough to become low priced they went away. Fast forward 10+ years and we are back to that with the netbooks.

Netbooks will have to evolve to be compatible with future OS's. They can't stay with XP forever, meaning they will need more ram and maybe more CPU horsepower to run Vista or Win7. By the time Microsoft forces a transition from XP to W7, I think netbooks will be ready for it.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]I like the netbooks. I think they are useful and will serve a purpose for a lot of people. Netbooks now are as powerful as our desktops were just a few years ago, so they will handle email, web browsing, small documents and spreadsheets just fine. What else do most people do these days? The keyboard is smaller but OK for writing an email. The screen is smaller, but reasonable for most people that won't stare at it all day.The netbook is not intended to replace desktops or larger laptops. It may be all that some people need, but other people will buy one to use in addition to their other computer(s).I remember in the old days when laptops were pretty big, but gradually they got smaller and smaller. Most people using them in those days were business people, so the goal seemed to be a laptop that was physically the same size as a piece of copy paper- 8.5" x 11", then it would easily fit in a briefcase along with other papers. That's still a small machine even by today's standards. Then a few companies brought out low powered machines that were smaller than 8.5x11. I wanted one of those, but before they got popular enough to become low priced they went away. Fast forward 10+ years and we are back to that with the netbooks.Netbooks will have to evolve to be compatible with future OS's. They can't stay with XP forever, meaning they will need more ram and maybe more CPU horsepower to run Vista or Win7. By the time Microsoft forces a transition from XP to W7, I think netbooks will be ready for it.[/citation]

If Microsoft is smart, and in this case I really think they will be, they are going to work more closely with vendors and try to optimize their OS to handle the type of systems were talking about, because lets face it with what your buying, you probably don't even need 1/4 of the baggage on a Vista install for what your going to do with this type of machine.

Tekkamanraiden

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
They are a great idea for people such as myself that service products in peoples homes. I'm just waiting for someone to come out with a 6 hour battery life.

lbjack

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I think the Next Big Thing should be thin client laptops, laptops as terminals. Broadband is speeding network connections, and home networks connected to thin clients would be a natural evolution.

Lugging a desktop replacement around the house (or on the road) is a pain, but so is a tiny display and keyboard. The problem with the netbook solution is size. People have accepted the limitation because up until now, portable could only be small. With a thin client you can achieve the portability of small with light. A thin-client laptop could be as light as a netbook without the size constraint.

Up until now, the laptop had to carry everything inside it -- OS, applications, storage -- because networks were too slow to access it from the outside. Thanks to today's fast networks this is no longer the case.

Thin clients have been left behind as IT use has evolved from the desktop terminal to the laptop. The time has come to revisit thin clients. I think somebody could make a killing.

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
ATOM 330 ION! ATOM 330 ION! ATOM 330 ION! ATOM 330 ION! ATOM 330 ION!

[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]There are netbooks with 6 hour battery life, for sure the Samsung has it but they are very hard to find in the U.S.[/citation]
Hard to find in the US? Hardly. Retail stores only sell the 3 cell batteries, the models that come with 6 cell batteries are easily available online.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I read that Samsung has a deal with another company and has agreed not to sell their laptops in the U.S. Before Christmas I searched for various Samsung models and couldn't find them at any retail store or major online vendor.
Today I hit Google just to check and I find the Samsung NC10 available at a lot of smaller online retailers, but none of the major brick and mortar stores. I remember searching about 5 weeks ago and not finding them anywhere.

[citation][nom]lbjack[/nom]I think the Next Big Thing should be thin client laptops, laptops as terminals. Broadband is speeding network connections, and home networks connected to thin clients would be a natural evolution. Lugging a desktop replacement around the house (or on the road) is a pain, but so is a tiny display and keyboard. The problem with the netbook solution is size. People have accepted the limitation because up until now, portable could only be small. With a thin client you can achieve the portability of small with light. A thin-client laptop could be as light as a netbook without the size constraint.Up until now, the laptop had to carry everything inside it -- OS, applications, storage -- because networks were too slow to access it from the outside. Thanks to today's fast networks this is no longer the case.Thin clients have been left behind as IT use has evolved from the desktop terminal to the laptop. The time has come to revisit thin clients. I think somebody could make a killing.[/citation]
I disagree - as much as the internet is speeding up, it is in no way reliable, fast, or low latency enough for this to be the way to go yet. It's a nice concept, and it makes for good power point presentations, but I just don't see it happening until networks are significantly better than they are now.

G

Netbooks are laptops that can't play graphics intensive games, that's the way it is. Who needs to do that on a laptop anyway? I have my Quad 4 PC to play graphic intesive games.

Everything else a netbook can do, everything. Watch movies, listen to music, type essays, take notes, carry around, surf the web, e-mail, spreadsheet... you name it.

One thing I like about the netbook is it is discrete when taking notes in class. 95% keyboard size on the Samsung NC10, 7 hours of battery life, no heat generation that plagues normal laptops, ultra lightweight, and as said great battery life. It is perfect computer that will do anything a laptop will do.

lbjack

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
[citation][nom]cjl[/nom]I disagree - as much as the internet is speeding up, it is in no way reliable, fast, or low latency enough for this to be the way to go yet. It's a nice concept, and it makes for good power point presentations, but I just don't see it happening until networks are significantly better than they are now.[/citation]

If networks can stream video content to thousands of users, then of course they can support thin clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.