Netbooks With Built-In Kinect Already on the Way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2gstyle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
They might actually be able to make touch screen offer the ability to "hover" the pointer which is about he last thing needed to complete replicate the mouse on a touch screen

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]So instead of actually using the touch screen, you can just point to it instead?[/citation]

Point, swipe, zoom gesture, voice control, facial recognition. All that.

Pointing and clicking may be a gesture or it might be something like 2gstyle mentions where kinect does the motion and the capacitive screen does the "click".

Everyone I think realizes the metro interface is awesome for capacitive touch displays. It's also perfect for NUI like Kinect.

yorgos

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
According to The Daily, the prototype netbooks featured an array of small sensors stretching across the top of the screen where a webcam typically resides
this is too much to say for such a simple thing.
Really that kinect thing is nothing complex, nothing new and not expensive at all.
You just take more than 2 cameras, make the drivers and there you have a kinect like system.
This sensors and arrays are nothing more than really cheap low resolution cameras, driven by a program to recognize your face and your hands, just like other webcam programs do (recognize your face you they can focus on it) for many years now.
It's sad to see companies sell old staff, or old technology as a new product and making money out of it.

Will this thing be in handy? I believe not, because your mouse is the most accurate thing you can use and I believe that nobody is going to use it in public places. Just imagine someone waving and pointing at his/her laptop, it will be a hilarious scene.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]azathoth[/nom]This will simply turn into another sales gimmick, raising the price of netbooks.As with my Xbox 360 kinect it was fun for the first day, then it got shelved.[/citation]

more like, tried it out one day, found out it was no fun due to input lag from games, then got shelved. maybe newer patches got rid of the input lag, but it is still very bad just navigating the Xbox dashboard menus with it. I can only imagine how bad it is to navigate a complete OS with it. NO THANKS!!!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]So instead of actually using the touch screen, you can just point to it instead?[/citation]touch screen is useless when u eating Ramen/noodles or any food.

Now with this I can scroll my browser with my oily hand while I am eating snacks!

[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]Point, swipe, zoom gesture, voice control, facial recognition. All that.Pointing and clicking may be a gesture or it might be something like 2gstyle mentions where kinect does the motion and the capacitive screen does the "click".Everyone I think realizes the metro interface is awesome for capacitive touch displays. It's also perfect for NUI like Kinect.[/citation]

And supposed I was to pint at someone else's screen??? sitting at the back and make a few gestures?
then......

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I like the idea of the Kinect for Windows. I think it would be a fantastic way to make using a computer easier for disabled people. If software is written to make custom actions (to fit the persons disability)
to make the desired function happen. If this doesn't come native with the Windows version I certainly am interested in starting a project to make a freeware version.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
well it got potential if it works like head tracking but no leds. id love to be able to get more free camera look in fps racing and flight. but i dont need it for eny thing ells.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Think about it, just using the touch screen would be faster. If you ever used Konnect you would know what I'm talking about. If you have a PC hooked to a TV across the room it would be different, but we are talking about netbook with a touch screen here.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]I can see it now... rubbing my eyes and my windows minimizing.[/citation]

I can see it now... 100 people in a Starbucks all waiving their hands around in front of their laptops :p

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]azathoth[/nom]This will simply turn into another sales gimmick, raising the price of netbooks.As with my Xbox 360 kinect it was fun for the first day, then it got shelved.[/citation]

Kinect for Windows actually makes more sense than the xbox mostly in my mind due to computing horsepower. Kinect usages far exceed simple gaming on Windows and I look forward to these abilities. If anything surely for a cheap 3D scanner as already demo'ed with hacked Kinect modules with PC's. I look forward to being able to perform 3D scanning and printing out of the box. Imagine being able to basically make your very own replication system. Have an item, copy it, make another item.

Status
Not open for further replies.