Netgear Adds AC1900 Near-Gigabit Cable Modem Router To Home Networking Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Toms,
The units are all over the place in this article. Please clean up.
Second Processor at 600GHz?
WiFi speeds at 1.9GHz per second?

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Theres nothing all over the place here. The 2 different SoC's are explained. The WiFi speed is an industry standard explanation. Do you read english?

But why the hell did they put USB 2.0 on here when 3.1 is out? I understand not having 3.1 but 3.0 has been standard for years...

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Toms posting system is very broken right now. Nearly half off all comments posted fail to post, the site crashing.

But quotas47, you must not read english well. The entire article is fine. The two different SoC's are explained. This is a router and modem so its built as though there are two different machines in one box. The AC speed listed is an industry standard affair in how its listed. This is just a typical press release type thing. Nothing wrong with it really (but a bit pricey).

...well except that its mid 2015 and USB 2.0 has no place here. 3.0 should be here for drive speed. 3.1 not here is understandable but 3.0 is a must.

jakjawagon

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
quotas47 is correct. A 600GHz processor would be crazy fast. I'm assuming they meant 600MHz.
No wifi runs at 1.9GHz. b/g/n uses 2.4GHz, and a/n/ac uses 5GHz. The Router does however have a wifi speed of 1.9gb/s.
Also, Hz refers to frequency, specifically the number of times something happens per second, so GHz per second would refer to acceleration, not speed, which wouldn't make sense in the context of a router.

THJulio

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
quotas47 is correct. A 600GHz processor would be crazy fast. I'm assuming they meant 600MHz.
No wifi runs at 1.9GHz. b/g/n uses 2.4GHz, and a/n/ac uses 5GHz. The Router does however have a wifi speed of 1.9mb/s.
Also, Hz refers to frequency, specifically the number of times something happens per second, so GHz per second would refer to acceleration, not speed, which wouldn't make sense in the context of a router.

Thanks for the post clarification folks. I've updated the article the to reflect the correct speeds.

THJulio

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
Toms posting system is very broken right now. Nearly half off all comments posted fail to post, the site crashing.

But quotas47, you must not read english well. The entire article is fine. The two different SoC's are explained. This is a router and modem so its built as though there are two different machines in one box. The AC speed listed is an industry standard affair in how its listed. This is just a typical press release type thing. Nothing wrong with it really (but a bit pricey).

...well except that its mid 2015 and USB 2.0 has no place here. 3.0 should be here for drive speed. 3.1 not here is understandable but 3.0 is a must.

Thanks for the assist HideOut, but Jackjawagon's comment clarified the first post.

I asked about the USB 2.0 as well. Vendors usually come back and say that it was a cost or space saving decision. I'm just wondering how much more the CMR would cost if it came with USB 3.0.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I can understand why anyone would be hesitant to put USB 3.0 on a wireless router, considering the RFI on the 2.4 Ghz spectrum that often results in degradation of wireless performance. They can shield the USB 3.0 port inside the router, but that doesn't guarantee that the USB cable and device that get plugged into it will be shielded. Simpler to just exclude the USB 3.0 port and not have to deal with the customer service calls related to the silly USB 3.0 design.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

Jackjawagon,
I appreciate your supportive comments. Frankly, I'm a bit confused how two others criticized me without basis, not realizing the technical differences

Status
Not open for further replies.