Netgear Intros ''World's First'' 802.11ac Wi-Fi Router

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onanonanon

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I'm a bit confused as to why the posters nearer the top are being thumbed down for pointing out that this will not improve downloads from the web (as stated in the "article") because that is limited by the broadband connection rather than the router these days. What am I missing?

Also, am I the only one who thinks this whole article reads more like an advertisement than a genuine piece of news? When the author largely just regurgitates the marketing blurb, where is the objectivity?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]onanonanon[/nom]I'm a bit confused as to why the posters nearer the top are being thumbed down for pointing out that this will not improve downloads from the web (as stated in the "article") because that is limited by the broadband connection rather than the router these days. What am I missing?Also, am I the only one who thinks this whole article reads more like an advertisement than a genuine piece of news? When the author largely just regurgitates the marketing blurb, where is the objectivity?[/citation]
Does it really matter who's thumbed up or thumbed down? ...you seem to be giving it unwarranted importance just by bringing it up.

onanonanon

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]Does it really matter who's thumbed up or thumbed down? ...you seem to be giving it unwarranted importance just by bringing it up.[/citation]
Well yeah, it does matter if people make perfectly relevant posts but they're thumbed down so heavily that they get hidden from view.

But my real point was that I thought I might be failing to understand some issue that was making people disagree with the posters. So I'll put it again more plainly: is it the case or not that download speeds from the web are not really being throttled by most people's routers these days? In other words, is that all marketing BS?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]onanonanon[/nom]Well yeah, it does matter if people make perfectly relevant posts but they're thumbed down so heavily that they get hidden from view.But my real point was that I thought I might be failing to understand some issue that was making people disagree with the posters. So I'll put it again more plainly: is it the case or not that download speeds from the web are not really being throttled by most people's routers these days? In other words, is that all marketing BS?[/citation]
Understood. ...just seems sometimes like folks are overly concerned about posts being thumbed up or down...perhaps I just don't care as much as I should.

On topic, I do notice that most routers I've had molest the download speeds.

G

first of all, i udgraded to the R6300 from the N600. I did this this due to the sheer number of blu-ray players, SmartTV's, Smart Phones, Tablets and notebooks/Laptops we have here in my house. Whereas 8 years ago, we all used desktop PC's, we now are all mobile. The N600 is a solid workhorse, but cannot handle 40~50 connections at once, nor was even designed to do so. It still has in my mind a SOLID and high rating in my book. on to the R6300........... Speed is much much faster. I have 100MB speed with Charter, and now utilize it more readily. The only downside is ( and it is NOT limited to Charter) is the the 5MB upload speed .

I also have the A6200 Adapters as well and YES 585Mbps speeds are now the normal with 3 walls and about 30 feet away......... 855Mbps is normal while in the same room. NO, it is not the 1200Mbps speeds that is advertised, but taking overhead into account, 72% of rating is pretty good in my book for a standard that is not yet locked in and now brings my laptop to nearly Giginet speeds without the wires.

if you have the N900, i might wait for a while, but from the N600, yes it is a no-brainer, you will be VERY happy with this, i know i am and plan on getting on more of these and using it as a repeater to douse the house and remaining property with Wi-Fi...............

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
it's a piece of shit - crashes, dropped connections, buggy. Also, even during the rare times when it isn't crashing, the UI lacks nuance, no control over individual connections.

halcyon

Splendid

Sounds like it's in need of a firmware update.

Status
Not open for further replies.