Netgear Launching Two PL1200 Powerline Networking Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Hope they make an European stile plug/outlet soon!
I only wonder about consistency of transfer rates in a bigger house with old and long electrical wires. Does it fall of (like the higher Ghz wifi signal going through thick walls) or is it much more robust and is not so easily disturbed?

John McKown

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
One thing I noticed which is not mentioned is that the ethernet port itself is only 100 Mb, not 1 Gb. So I wonder why the speed is said to be 1200 Mbps (1.2 Gb). I guess that is the maximum if you have multiple adapters on a single electrical circuit all going at once.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
It's worth noting that these aren't unique; I just noticed that TP-Link already has a PL1200 model with pass-through available for UK mains sockets. I was very tempted, as one of my older 200mbps units has failed, but the price is a bit too prohibitive (as I'd need at least four before I would benefit from the faster speed). Maybe I'll replace the next failed unit with a PL1200 model.

Also, all modern Powerline adaptors should be compatible (as they use the same HomePlugAV standard), so it doesn't matter if you mix and match TP-Link, Netgear etc. In fact, I use Netgear's Powerline Utility to manage my TP-Link adaptors, since TP-Link are too lazy to make a Mac utility.

John McKown

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
One thing I noticed which is not mentioned is that the ethernet port itself is only 100 Mb, not 1 Gb. So I wonder why the speed is said to be 1200 Mbps (1.2 Gb). I guess that is the maximum if you have multiple adapters on a single electrical circuit all going at once.

Well, I guess I should have gone to the Netgear site instead of reading it on Amazon. Netgear does say the port can is 10/100/1000. It might be nice to eliminate that 100 foot ethernet cable that I have snaking from a router on one side of the house to another router on the other. I wonder if I can connect it to my outlet using a "pig tail" extension cord. Question, questions.

pixelpusher220

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Also, all modern Powerline adaptors should be compatible (as they use the same HomePlugAV standard), so it doesn't matter if you mix and match TP-Link, Netgear etc. In fact, I use Netgear's Powerline Utility to manage my TP-Link adaptors, since TP-Link are too lazy to make a Mac utility.

My question would different speed adapters reduce the fast available? If I have a 1200 mb adapter that connects router to electric and then have 2 adapters elsewhere for usage. If one of those is only 100 mb and the other is 1200mb, does my the 1200 mb get limited to just the 100mb speed as well?

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
My question would different speed adapters reduce the fast available? If I have a 1200 mb adapter that connects router to electric and then have 2 adapters elsewhere for usage. If one of those is only 100 mb and the other is 1200mb, does my the 1200 mb get limited to just the 100mb speed as well?

My understanding is that the slower port would not affect the speed of the faster port. The caveat here is that the source from your router is only so fast and has to feed both the data for both from the 1Gbps source.

Now for a nostalgic moment: Remember the good ol' days where 10Mbps networks were fast and the 100Mbps connections were just an interesting potential in networking?

ron baker

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
desz tings are good but they do tend to hog the sockets .. most often they are too fat for anyting 2 fit nex 2 dem. But thats like yanks on planes ...LOL (Fattest in EU).

Anon02840278

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
John McKown: BS! The tech specs on Netgear's website list One (1) 10/100/1000Mbps† Gigabit Ethernet port on each adapter! This is gigabit.

Status
Not open for further replies.