Netgear MA111 DHCP problem XP ???

Hi!

I have 3 computers running WINODWS XP Professional SP1.
all 3 use a Netgear MA111 USB WLAN adapter connecting to the internet via a
Netgear WG602.

on 1 machine the DHCP somehow suddenly doesnt work, I dont get an address
within the expected range,
instead I get a 169.x.x.x address which is an internal one. eveyrthing works
fine on the other 2 machines.

the WLAN connection is fine, as far as the MA111 config utility shows me.

if I enter a fixed address within my range, I am able to see the other
computers bit I still cant connect to the internet.
I reinstalled the MA111 driver stuff but it didnt change anything.

any help with this would be greatly apreciated,
thanx in advance!

best regards,
Hans

My eMail-address has been changed due to spam.
eMail-replies can be sent to hpesata@chello.at

"Hans Pesata" <dummy.user@dummy.com> wrote in

> Hi!
>
> I have 3 computers running WINODWS XP Professional SP1.
> all 3 use a Netgear MA111 USB WLAN adapter connecting to the internet
> via a Netgear WG602.
>
> on 1 machine the DHCP somehow suddenly doesnt work, I dont get an
> address within the expected range,
> instead I get a 169.x.x.x address which is an internal one. eveyrthing
> works fine on the other 2 machines.
>
> the WLAN connection is fine, as far as the MA111 config utility shows
> me.
>
> if I enter a fixed address within my range, I am able to see the other
> computers bit I still cant connect to the internet.
> I reinstalled the MA111 driver stuff but it didnt change anything.
>
> any help with this would be greatly apreciated,
> thanx in advance!

There is nothing wrong with the DHCP of the router, since the other
machines are getting an IP from it.

The problem is with the one machine and some kind of mis-configuration of
the card, which is resulting in a 169.xxx IP being assigned as it cannot
get an IP from the DHCP server on the router.

If the machine can be connected to the router on a wire does it still
have problems getting an IP?

Duane :)

Hi Duane!

> There is nothing wrong with the DHCP of the router, since the other
> machines are getting an IP from it.
> The problem is with the one machine and some kind of mis-configuration of
> the card, which is resulting in a 169.xxx IP being assigned as it cannot
> get an IP from the DHCP server on the router.
> If the machine can be connected to the router on a wire does it still
> have problems getting an IP?

thanx for your reply!

I dont have access to the machine right now so I cant tell if this works.
Also the WG602 is just an access-point and not a router and I dont know if
it offers the possibility
to also connect computers via a cable.

do you have an idea what can be misconfigured on the MA111 ?
I looked through the configuration several times and also compared it with
the working ones
but didnt find anything.

best regards,
Hans

> Hi Duane!
>
>> There is nothing wrong with the DHCP of the router, since the other
>> machines are getting an IP from it.
>> The problem is with the one machine and some kind of
>> mis-configuration of the card, which is resulting in a 169.xxx IP
>> being assigned as it cannot get an IP from the DHCP server on the
>> router. If the machine can be connected to the router on a wire does
>> it still have problems getting an IP?
>
> thanx for your reply!
>
> I dont have access to the machine right now so I cant tell if this
> works. Also the WG602 is just an access-point and not a router and I
> dont know if it offers the possibility
> to also connect computers via a cable.
>
> do you have an idea what can be misconfigured on the MA111 ?
> I looked through the configuration several times and also compared it
> with the working ones
> but didnt find anything.
>
> best regards,
> Hans

I don't know what could be the problem. I know that you get the 169. IP
the machine is having trouble getting one from the DHCP server. It could
be due to mis-configuration or a defective part.

The TCP/IP stack on XP may be locked now and you may need to reset it, as
the machine may not be able to get an IP from the DHCP server wired or
wireless until it is reset.

http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_tcp_ip_on_windows_xp.htm

There is a link at the bottom of the MS link for troubleshooting the
TCP/IP connection.

Maybe, all you need to do is reset the stack.

Duane :)

Hi Duane!

> I don't know what could be the problem. I know that you get the 169. IP
> the machine is having trouble getting one from the DHCP server. It could
> be due to mis-configuration or a defective part.
>
> The TCP/IP stack on XP may be locked now and you may need to reset it, as
> the machine may not be able to get an IP from the DHCP server wired or
> wireless until it is reset.
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/reinstall_tcp_ip_on_windows_xp.htm
>
> There is a link at the bottom of the MS link for troubleshooting the
> TCP/IP connection.
>
> Maybe, all you need to do is reset the stack.

thanx for this very valuable information!

best regards,
Hans