Netgear mr814 troubleshooting help needed; see network, bu..

Would appreciate someone holding my hand troubleshooting a vexing
problem using netgear mr814 router (firmware updated) talking to a
agere/lucent card.

I can see the agere card with its mac address, and name on the router
admin window, and I can see my network ssid by its unique name on the
wireless equipped laptop.

I have a 'bubble' telling me I have a wireless connection, yet when I
click on the icon in the system tray I get a window showing a x
through the wireless connection in 'network connections' window

I have deleted the 'bridge'

Both my desktop controlling the router, and my laptop operate windows
xp

I have a toll free number, and would appreciate a few minutes time of
someone who can help troubleshoot this problem.

Needless to say, I have had no support from Netgear; even though the
router is less than 3 months old..theoratically within the warranty
period. No answer on phone, and no response via email sent to them.

Please reply, cc to: netcommuner (at) yahoo (dot) com
Tx
tom

Do you have any kind of encryption set in the router? Also, does the network
card you have, have it's own connection utility?
If it does you may want to use that instead of the XP connection utility,
which is shaky at best.