[SOLVED] Netgear Nighthawk (c7800) modem/router bricked after ISP activation?

Mar 2, 2021
Hi folks,

Opened a new Netgear Nighthawk c7800 AC3200 modem/router this morning to set up internets in my next apartment. Before calling Comcast, I powered up the device and connected my lappy via ethernet to verify that the device worked. I was able to access the router login and changed the admin password but didn't do anything else at that time. The 2.4 and 5 Ghz LED's were lit up, as well as the ethernet LED corresponding to the port that my laptop was connected to.

After the expected 1.5 hrs on hold and dealing with comcast repeatedly "sending a signal to my device," they were finally able to communicate with my modem and said that I had internet connection. However, the router part no longer seemed to function. After the ISP activation I couldn't get either of the wifi signals (or LEDs) to come back on nor could I connect to the router via ethernet as I did earlier this morning. Of course, Comcast then tells me to call Netgear. Which I did only to be told after several soft/hard resets that it is defective.

But, it's NOT defective because I checked the functionality before starting the process! Or, at least, it wasn't before calling my ISP.

I'm really frustrated and would rather try to figure this out than send the device back and order a new one. Especially because I have zero confidence that this won't just happen again.

Anyone have an idea of something to try?

TYVM

Solution
The reason there are approved modems is because ISP's will put their own firmware/profile on the device. Seems like there was a snafu in this process due to having a combined modem/wifi/router.

This is why I get a separate modem for comcast, and use a separate router. Comcast can do whatever they want with the modem, and I'll do my own thing with the router.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi folks,

Opened a new Netgear Nighthawk c7800 AC3200 modem/router this morning to set up internets in my next apartment. Before calling Comcast, I powered up the device and connected my lappy via ethernet to verify that the device worked. I was able to access the router login and changed the admin password but didn't do anything else at that time. The 2.4 and 5 Ghz LED's were lit up, as well as the ethernet LED corresponding to the port that my laptop was connected to.

After the expected 1.5 hrs on hold and dealing with comcast repeatedly "sending a signal to my device," they were finally able to communicate with my modem and said that I had internet connection. However, the router part no longer seemed to function. After the ISP activation I couldn't get either of the wifi signals (or LEDs) to come back on nor could I connect to the router via ethernet as I did earlier this morning. Of course, Comcast then tells me to call Netgear. Which I did only to be told after several soft/hard resets that it is defective.

But, it's NOT defective because I checked the functionality before starting the process! Or, at least, it wasn't before calling my ISP.

I'm really frustrated and would rather try to figure this out than send the device back and order a new one. Especially because I have zero confidence that this won't just happen again.

Anyone have an idea of something to try?

TYVM
It is possible they configured it in bridge mode. That would disable the WIFI and management pages. If you connect a wired device, does it get internet?
Check your IP address using cmd.exe and ipconfig.exe /all -- If your IP address does not start with 192.168 or 10. or 169.254 then you probably have a public IP address and your "router" has been configured as a modem only by comcast.

Mar 2, 2021
It is possible they configured it in bridge mode. That would disable the WIFI and management pages. If you connect a wired device, does it get internet?
Check your IP address using cmd.exe and ipconfig.exe /all -- If your IP address does not start with 192.168 or 10. or 169.254 then you probably have a public IP address and your "router" has been configured as a modem only by comcast.

Appreciate the response.

I do not get internet with a wired connection. The ethernet LEDs don't even light up when connected. The power, downstream, upstream, and internet LED's are the only indicator lights that are on after ISP activation. With a wired connection, typing 192.168.0.1 does not bring up the netgear control panel (Genie). There are no wifi connections available with the default names on the sticker on the device.

I'm back at my current apartment for the night. Need to wait until my wife finishes work to do any other troubleshooting with this POS on our known-working internet. From my understanding, now that the new (defective?) modem/router has been activated, I should be able to connect it at this address too. Will update if I learn anything.

kanewolf

Titan
Appreciate the response.

I do not get internet with a wired connection. The ethernet LEDs don't even light up when connected. The power, downstream, upstream, and internet LED's are the only indicator lights that are on after ISP activation. With a wired connection, typing 192.168.0.1 does not bring up the netgear control panel (Genie). There are no wifi connections available with the default names on the sticker on the device.

I'm back at my current apartment for the night. Need to wait until my wife finishes work to do any other troubleshooting with this POS on our known-working internet. From my understanding, now that the new (defective?) modem/router has been activated, I should be able to connect it at this address too. Will update if I learn anything.
Is there any lights? Does it go through any kind of self test when first turned on?

The reason there are approved modems is because ISP's will put their own firmware/profile on the device. Seems like there was a snafu in this process due to having a combined modem/wifi/router.

This is why I get a separate modem for comcast, and use a separate router. Comcast can do whatever they want with the modem, and I'll do my own thing with the router.

Solution