Netgear r7000 router keeps dropping only when playing league of legends

john768

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
I recently got a netgear r700 router and it's been great so far except i can't play League of Legends properly. It stops uploading to the server since i can still see what is happening in real time minus my own actions in the game. Ping doesn't increase and it's only on League of Legends. I can play BF4 and world of tanks with 0 issues related to internet. My wifi card is a tp-link wdn4800 with the most recent drivers. I've tried both 5ghz and 2.4ghz and I've gotten the same results. The signal strength is between 40 and 45 dbm for both frequencies. I've contacted netgear and they said it's the game, riot maintenance team said it's my internet server provider, and tp-link said it's the router. So I haven't gotten anywhere but I think it's safe to assume it is the router since when i reset it, it does work for a few hours, while resetting the connection on the pc or restarting it doesn't fix anything.

RealBeast

Titan
Are you using the 802.11ac -- did you buy a good ac adapter that can connect to that router's fast connection like THIS? Otherwise you are using a great router for mediocre 2.4GHz or 5GHz N connections.

If you are not using ac, then you will need to check the local area for interference with the free wifi analyzer inSSIDer from HERE.

john768

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
No i have a tp-link wdn-4800 in this computer and it's 450+450. The 5ghz band has no interference on it. But the problem is that I'm only getting this issue with league of legends every thing else is fine.

john768

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Yeah i went through troubleshooting on the forums and they said it was packet loss when i ran the diagnostic tool. But i contacted my isp they said they haven't seen any packet loss, but they restarted it anyways for me. And on the old router/modem combo from Rogers, an smc 3dgn i haven't had any issues. I know everyone likes the pass the blame on but i'm genuinely convinced it's the router, since I've seen a few other threads about people having issues with the same router.

RealBeast

Titan
If you still have the old router, stick it back in there to test that theory, although you have to take user complaints with a grain of salt. I have not seen any issues with the R7000, although I mostly install ASUS routers. However, every product will have an occasional bad unit make it out.

john768

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
My old router worked fine, that's why i believe it's the r7000. With an ethernet cable i get no issues, but on the N and G band i get the problem. It's only in league of legends and nothing else. I've tried the game on my brother's computer and i get the same issues, his wifi card is an asus ac66 wifi card. I think it's a software issue and not an actual physical issue with the router.

Reapexx

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I'm having this problem as well, I've tried plugging directly into the router through ethernet and had the same problem.

This also affects other games, as well as VoIP applications like Skype and Teamspeak.