Discussion Netgear Readyshare or WD Home Cloud?

May 17, 2019
Hi all! New here and wanted to get some advice on which is which or which is better?

I've spent the last week researching and reading numerous articles and watching countless youtube videos on this.

I'm in the process of updating our home network and trying to decide pros and cons of Netgear Readyshare or if I should go with WD Home Cloud.

Here is my existing setup and commonly connected devices (I'm a complete newb at this so sorry if I'm redundant):

ISP: xfinity

Modem/router: Netgear C3000/N600 modem/router combo

Devices:
iPhone XS
Galaxy S6
iPad
Macbook Air
Macbook Pro
Microsoft Surface Go
2 Roku streaming sticks
HP Officejet printer
Nest Thermostat

I feel our network has been fine and I rarely encounter and buffering when streaming even if I'm streaming from 2 devices.

What I'm looking for:

I'm trying to create a home network that will allow for easy sharing and storage of files as well as backing up phones, laptops and tablets. I was convinced that a WD Home cloud was the way to go until I remembered that my Netgear modem/router has Readyshare which seems as though if I connect a 2-4TB drive to it will function very similar since it too offers remote access.

I current store a lot of stuff on Google Drive as well and utilize Google photos as my main back up source and storage of photos. I previously also utilized flickr as secondary backup and storage until they implemented a 1000 photo limit. Now I'm looking for a better solution and perhaps having on-site storage such as those mentioned and utilizing Google Drive and Google Photos as a secondary backup.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I'm redundant as I'm a complete newb at this.