Network adapter problems

Conor_5

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
So my brother have me his old pc that he had custom built and the network adapter isn't working and I think it accidently got deleted. Where could I download a new one? I have a laptop I can download it onto plus a usb to move it over with. Most of what I've read involves a CD/DVD drive which I don't have

Solution

That might help, but it's problematic that your network adapter does not show up in the device manager. It should at least show up as an unknown device. If it's not showing up, no amount of updating drivers will make it work. It could have been disabled in the bios or be physically damaged. You might try resetting your bios/CMOS. There may be a button or jumper pins--or you can unplug everything and remove the coin-like battery for a few seconds. That should set your bios back to default. If the network adapter still doesn't show up, you will need a new one.
You should be able to download the driver from the manufacturer, copy it over using a usb drive and install it. It's hard to be more specific without knowing anything about the adapter or what version of windows the old pc is running if any.

If you open the computer up, you should be able to find the motherboard manufacturer and model by just looking at it. With that information, you should be able to find the proper drivers.

Windows 8 should have most ethernet drivers built in. Take a look in the "Device Manager" and describe what is listed under "Network Adapters." It may just be disabled or have some settings off.

Conor_5

Commendable
Apr 11, 2016
Sorry I never got a notification saying you replied again. There is no category in the device manager that has a network adapter in it. I even did the show hidden devices. But when I looked under device properties in hardware or does say something about an ndis virtual network adapter enumerator

That might help, but it's problematic that your network adapter does not show up in the device manager. It should at least show up as an unknown device. If it's not showing up, no amount of updating drivers will make it work. It could have been disabled in the bios or be physically damaged. You might try resetting your bios/CMOS. There may be a button or jumper pins--or you can unplug everything and remove the coin-like battery for a few seconds. That should set your bios back to default. If the network adapter still doesn't show up, you will need a new one.

Solution