Network Adapter speed?

EMarlett

Honorable
May 15, 2013
Hello,

Question please about something that I have always been confused about?

My wireless N router gave up a while back and I always thout the better the best so I bought a Linksys AC1750 to replace it and now I am in search of new adapters.

We have broadband of 50 MBs and I would like to know if the 50 MBs means throughput and I would not need more than an N adapter? or is AC1200 better?

Thanks

I

Solution

802.11g maximum throughput 54Mbps
802.11n (wireless N) maximum throughput 600Mbps
802.11g (wireless AC) maximum throughput over 1Gbps

These maximums though are dependent on many factors.
Distance, interference and anything physically obstructing the signal affect all three standards.
Once you step up to wireless N, it also depends on the number of antennas and the frequency channel used.
Look at the specified maximum throughput for the adapter and router.
Wireless N should be enough to give you full speed access to your internet bandwidth. Just make sure you pick the right adapter.

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
I think your broadband is 50Mbps, not MB :) 8 bits = 1 Byte, so 8b = 1B (common confusion, no worries).

In any case, just about any adapter that does wireless N would be fine. If you want a bit better, get a dual band adapter.

AC adapters would only be useful if you're sending lots of files between your own devices on your local network and need them quickly.

It sounds like you probably already have adapters that will be quite sufficient, so no need to upgrade.

EMarlett

Honorable
May 15, 2013

Solution