[SOLVED] Network adapter too weak?

aladdin900

Commendable
Sep 27, 2019
Hello so ive been ignoring it for some time now but just cant do it any longer. It always seems my internet speed connection is too low, my computer uses a wifi adapter to connect but it always seems to be running slow. Ive bought another adapter to test if it was faulty but it had the same result so i assumed it has something to do with how far apart my computer is to the router. Ive tried updating everything, my wifi adapter and computer.

I was wondering if it had anything to do with the distance. Would providing a usb extension cable, plugging my wifi adapter in give me a better internet speed?

Any suggestions will help. sorry for my lack of information if needed i wouldnt know where to begin but can provide it if needed thanks in advance

I forgot to mention when the internet seems slow and i disconeect the wifi, the speed goes back to normal for a few minutes then lags back up again

Last edited:
Solution
Distance is one of the more important things that reduce the signal levels but it goes a long way in a big open room. The wall and floors in between tend to have much more effect on the signal.

If you have not tried the USB cable trick that is a very cheap thing to try. It will tends to help because it gets the usb adapter away from the computer. All the metal in the case can block the signal. It may not help but you can get a 15ft cable for less than $3.

After that it starts costing real money. My preferred option is to use powerline units. This will give you ethernet connection if you need wifi they make units that also have wifi in the remote room. It uses the power wires to give you network connection so wall etc...
Distance is one of the more important things that reduce the signal levels but it goes a long way in a big open room. The wall and floors in between tend to have much more effect on the signal.

If you have not tried the USB cable trick that is a very cheap thing to try. It will tends to help because it gets the usb adapter away from the computer. All the metal in the case can block the signal. It may not help but you can get a 15ft cable for less than $3.

After that it starts costing real money. My preferred option is to use powerline units. This will give you ethernet connection if you need wifi they make units that also have wifi in the remote room. It uses the power wires to give you network connection so wall etc make little difference. There are rare houses it does not work in so be sure you can return it. You want the models that say they are AV2. So ones that say 600 or 1000 or 1200 speeds.

The other option which many people use is a repeater. I tend to not like these because they cut the bandwidth and you now have a second radio signal. Key to using these is placement. It must be placed where it can get good signal from the main router and also provide good signal to the end device. 1/2 between but that is made much more complex by location of walls and floors.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution