[SOLVED] Network adaptor reducing connection speed

RaidersUnited_

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016
So about 2 weeks ago I bought a new network adapter because the one I had before was about 8 years old, Today I go to download a game off of steam and see that it's capped at 3.3 MB/s which is very strange because any other time I've downloaded from steam I'm downloading at around 6 - 8 MB/s, So I look around steam if that is causing the issue but everything was fine and steam wasn't the issue I then go to check if it was just me having a bad internet connection so I go on to speedtest.net and see I'm at 26 Mbps for download speed then I try my phone and my laptop in my house to confirm the bad internet but they are all running on my normal connection speed which is around 65 Mbps so then I change back to my old network adapter and my connection is running perfectly fine and turns out the new adapter is reducing my connection by like 50-60% ish.

This (it's an Amazon link but it's a Linksys WUSB6300 AC1200 Dual Band Wireless USB 3.0 Adapter if you don't want to click the link) is the new adaptor I got that's reducing my connection speed, I've downloaded and installed the firmware and updated the drivers on the day I installed it.

I don't want to go back to the very old adapter if possible, is there any way to change the speeds on the new adaptor?

Update:
The adapter is connected straight into my case on the top USB 3.0 port, The Same one used for the old adapter.
Linksys wireless adapter is the only one plugged into the computer.
Make and model router. Who has full admin rights to the router?; Unsure about the make/model of my router as it came from my internet provider and doesn't say anything on the router besides my password. This is the router from my internet provider website bt. I can get full admin rights if needed but nothing has been changed.
Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and post the results; image
What configuration settings are you using on the wireless adapter?; Default, Nothing has been changed as I don't know how to.
Run "netsh wlan show all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt on the USB adapter's host computer; Hastebin of all the info.

Last edited:
Solution
Welp, I managed to fixed the issue myself, For some reason windows 10 was keeping the same settings as the previous adapter so all I did was go into settings > network & internet > network reset then restarted the computer put my password in for the wifi checked speedtest.net and it fixed it, now at normal wifi speeds and seems to be running perfectly fine.

Ralston18

Titan
I have the same USB adapter.

How is the adapter connected to the host computer - directly to a USB port?

If so, try using a USB extension cable to raise the USB wireless adapter up and away from the body of the host computer.

Other things you can do:

Update your post to include make and model router. Who has full admin rights to the router?

Double check that only one network adapter is enabled on your computer. In your case, you want only the Linksys wireless adapter to be enabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and post the results.

What configuration settings are you using on the wireless adapter?

Run "netsh wlan show all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt on the USB adapter's host computer.

Could be lengthy but the results may help you quickly identify a configuration setting that is not as you intended or expected.

Especially if you compare the old adapter's (working at speed) specs to the new adapter's (working slower) specs.

RaidersUnited_

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016
I've never really ran into any issues with wireless besides now sorta thing, I have debated using a wired connection but I don't think it would benefit me since I'd have to get a long wire for it as well as put it under the carpets (im too lazy for that :ROFLMAO: ) etc, Plus I rarely play online games to really benefit from the speeds.

RaidersUnited_

Honorable
Nov 25, 2016
Welp, I managed to fixed the issue myself, For some reason windows 10 was keeping the same settings as the previous adapter so all I did was go into settings > network & internet > network reset then restarted the computer put my password in for the wifi checked speedtest.net and it fixed it, now at normal wifi speeds and seems to be running perfectly fine.

Solution
I've never really ran into any issues with wireless besides now sorta thing, I have debated using a wired connection but I don't think it would benefit me since I'd have to get a long wire for it as well as put it under the carpets (im too lazy for that :ROFLMAO: ) etc, Plus I rarely play online games to really benefit from the speeds.
Once you've tasted wired Internet, there's really no substitute. :D You can almost feel the extra latency over wifi.

Glad you figured it out though. Lots of stupid software bugs in modern windows.