Question Network cable unplugged?

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
hello all, so today around 9:30am my WiFi shut off. Noticed something odd when I couldn’t access my ring camera. Got home and my modem was lit up normally and my router had a red light. I reset both my modem and router a few times and still nothing. The ASUS app says my network cable is unplugged. It clearly isn’t but I swapped it with another cable and still nothing. My PC and phone say it’s connected but no websites load.

Anyone had this problem before?
This is one of the few times I’m completely lost when it comes to all of my gear

kanewolf

Titan
hello all, so today around 9:30am my WiFi shut off. Noticed something odd when I couldn’t access my ring camera. Got home and my modem was lit up normally and my router had a red light. I reset both my modem and router a few times and still nothing. The ASUS app says my network cable is unplugged. It clearly isn’t but I swapped it with another cable and still nothing. My PC and phone say it’s connected but no websites load.

Anyone had this problem before?
This is one of the few times I’m completely lost when it comes to all of my gear
What model router? What LED was red?

kanewolf

Titan
T
The Internet LED. ASUS RT-AX88U
The manual says that a RED WAN LED says that the router didn't get an IP address. This could be an ISP problem. You say your modem looks normal.
Just in-case, the proper power up procedure would be power OFF both router and modem. Let modem fully power up. THEN power on router.
If you still have a RED WAN LED, then I would contact your ISP.

tomekkplk1

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
T

The manual says that a RED WAN LED says that the router didn't get an IP address. This could be an ISP problem. You say your modem looks normal.
Just in-case, the proper power up procedure would be power OFF both router and modem. Let modem fully power up. THEN power on router.
If you still have a RED WAN LED, then I would contact your ISP.
So a quick update, I ended up trying something. Bought a tplink archer ax20 and everything worked.. sort of. Tv (streaming) would cut off/lag/load about 10 times an hour and YT on the phone would dumb down to 480p every now and again. Returned it for an ASUS rtax58u and it shows connected and all the lights on the modem and router are on as normal but no connection. Also using a new Ethernet cable and new coax. Back to sq1.

kanewolf

Titan
So a quick update, I ended up trying something. Bought a tplink archer ax20 and everything worked.. sort of. Tv (streaming) would cut off/lag/load about 10 times an hour and YT on the phone would dumb down to 480p every now and again. Returned it for an ASUS rtax58u and it shows connected and all the lights on the modem and router are on as normal but no connection. Also using a new Ethernet cable and new coax. Back to sq1.
Changing the router multiple times, with a cable modem can cause the ISP to lock to a MAC address. Call your cable company and have them reset your connection. Tell them you replaced your router. That should allow your new router to get an IP address.