[SOLVED] network hacked or just broken hardware

rodz3323

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
hi people so this isnt really a computer problem but wanted some peoples feed back and thoughts on whats going on with my network

i have a sannce 4ch DVR security camera system connected to my modem and a monitor . i have had it in use for about 3 years with no problem . just recently at random times the camera images go all fuzzy then my internet drops out for about 30 seconds then comes back on and the cameras clear up

now if i disconect the cameras from the internet and just run them offline the problem dont happen. kind of makes me think someones hacking in to them but could just be the DVR box is broken but if it is broken its strange how it takes my internet offline when they go fuzzy

has anyone run in to issues like this before

Last edited by a moderator:
Not likely but cameras are know for extremely poor security. Think about how many times we see very large brands like ring getting hacked. Many of the made in china brands do not have the best record of patching firmware.

So do the security cameras and the dvr actually need to have access to the internet. If they just need local access inside your house you can use a trick to prevent them from getting internet. The more official way would be to use firewall rules in the router if it has that feature. They key think to the trick is the devices do not know where your router is which is the path to the internet unless you tell them. This is the default gateway. Since you should be using fixed IP on your cameras and likely your dvr all you do is either leave the gateway IP blank when you configure the IP address or you just set it to some unused IP that is not your router.

Using fixed IP also prevents some other strange issues like device duplicating other addresses...in particular the routers IP.

If it still does it when it is isolated like this you need to do a bit more testing to see what is going down. For example can you still ping your router IP.

I really distrust cameras. I have mine on a completely isolated network.

rodz3323

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
Not likely but cameras are know for extremely poor security. Think about how many times we see very large brands like ring getting hacked. Many of the made in china brands do not have the best record of patching firmware.

So do the security cameras and the dvr actually need to have access to the internet. If they just need local access inside your house you can use a trick to prevent them from getting internet. The more official way would be to use firewall rules in the router if it has that feature. They key think to the trick is the devices do not know where your router is which is the path to the internet unless you tell them. This is the default gateway. Since you should be using fixed IP on your cameras and likely your dvr all you do is either leave the gateway IP blank when you configure the IP address or you just set it to some unused IP that is not your router.

Using fixed IP also prevents some other strange issues like device duplicating other addresses...in particular the routers IP.

If it still does it when it is isolated like this you need to do a bit more testing to see what is going down. For example can you still ping your router IP.

I really distrust cameras. I have mine on a completely isolated network.
the DVR can be run offline. does not need a ethernet cable in it to display images on the monitor connected DVR but i like having it online so i can view the cameras off the mobile app when im not home to just too lazy to get up and look at the monitor but mostly when im not home

its very strange to me but i guess electronics do funny things when they get old . the DVR has built in encryption and i have it selected but it is a cheap DVR . might just have to try replace it but i get the feeling i might encounter the same issue if it was due to a hacked network

Sep 16, 2023
hi people so this isnt really a computer problem but wanted some peoples feed back and thoughts on whats going on with my network

i have a sannce 4ch DVR security camera system connected to my modem and a monitor . i have had it in use for about 3 years with no problem . just recently at random times the camera images go all fuzzy then my internet drops out for about 30 seconds then comes back on and the cameras clear up

now if i disconect the cameras from the internet and just run them offline the problem dont happen. kind of makes me think someones hacking in to them but could just be the DVR box is broken but if it is broken its strange how it takes my internet offline when they go fuzzy

has anyone run in to issues like this before

Are your cameras POE with your DVR providing POE through it's switch? I would suggest the process of elimination. Have you replaced the patch cable connected to your DVR? Also might have one camera with intermittent problem causing a network feedback loop throught the switch. Might try disconnecting the cameras one at a time, see if your symptoms return... Very well could be the DVR or a camera slowly releasing its factory installed Smoke Charge. Those things collect a significant amount dust due to their cooling fans.
I have not seen this specific problem yet. Tho in the last 8-9 months I have installed 11+ DVRs with 16 port POE switches built in, along with 100+ POE cameras.
As you stated, electronics can do some weird things when dying or overheating!
🔨

The other way to get remote access and still not allow the dvr or cameras to access the internet is a VPN. This is always much safer than using any form of remote access. Some systems are really bad and do not even use things like HTTPS encryption because of the problems with using certificates.

What you would do is put a vpn on your router. You would then a vpn client on your phone to gain access to your network. In effect you are on the lan.

Mine I go even a step farther even though it is rare that I ever need remote access. The device I use as a DVR is a dual nic pc. It has the camera network and my lan network. The lan network side has no direct access to the camera side. Even then I keep it uplugged most the time unless I know I am going to need remote access and I also use a vpn on top of it.

rodz3323

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
is it possable for the DVR to be confusing the modem making it drop out
. its connected direct to the modem. i was going to try put it on a switch . i have 3 desktop pc on the modem and the security cameras taking up all 4 ethernet ports on the back of the modem . i was thinking of putting 1 pc and the security cameras on a switch and freeing up a spot on the modem and leave it empty but i dont expect that to do anything.i understand thats contradictive to what you said. i dont know what the cable type is called . i havent changed any cables but i can give that a shot . i will also try disconnecting all but 1 camera and see if i get the same issue then if not add them back 1 at a time
is the system i have.

Last edited:
In general it doesn't matter where you plug things in. The 4 ports on the back of your router are actually a small switch. Every port can likely run 1gbit up and 1gbit down all at the same time. You still only have what every bandwidth you pay your ISP for on the wan but technically you could transfer files between devices on your lan at full gigabit rates and not affect the wan connection.

Adding a switch pretty much just gives you more ports on your router. There is of course the "bottleneck?" of the single gigabit cable they share to the main router. This is seldom a issue in a home install but only you know how much actual traffic is flowing between devices.

...............so I didn't look at your link until after I wrote this. This is the very old way to do cameras, I didn't think they still sold this type of units. Almost all modern cameras user ethernet or even wifi.
This means only the dvr is on your network

USAFRet

Titan
...............so I didn't look at your link until after I wrote this. This is the very old way to do cameras, I didn't think they still sold this type of units. Almost all modern cameras user ethernet or even wifi.

Yes...sannce 4ch DVR are pretty janky.
I have one (not that exact one, but close enuff)

The cameras have nothing to do with the network, only the DVR box (if you allow it).

rodz3323

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
In general it doesn't matter where you plug things in. The 4 ports on the back of your router are actually a small switch. Every port can likely run 1gbit up and 1gbit down all at the same time. You still only have what every bandwidth you pay your ISP for on the wan but technically you could transfer files between devices on your lan at full gigabit rates and not affect the wan connection.

Adding a switch pretty much just gives you more ports on your router. There is of course the "bottleneck?" of the single gigabit cable they share to the main router. This is seldom a issue in a home install but only you know how much actual traffic is flowing between devices.

it was that or spend 10x on something better plus it does everything i need . i get how a switch works. the reason i was thinking of connecting it to a switch is because . when i log in to my modem on a web browser . i only see 3 devices connected . 2 pc and the DVR . so i was thinking maybe the ports are getting mixed up idk just what i was thinking . all 4 devices are connected and online . just only 3 show in the modem when logging in to it

Last edited:

rodz3323

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
im confused about something
if something is plugged in to the modem and its playing up . how is that effecting the modem and making it drop out for a few seconds . is it possable for it to send a signial back to the modem and making it drop out like feedback loop as mentioned before

in that case . could a broken ethernet cablethats connected to one of my pc in the house causes the issue although im 90% sure its just the DVR is the issue but want to rule out other possable causes before i go buy a new one

Not really a broken ethernet generally causes the device it is hooked to get data loss or maybe even a disconnected state it does not really affect any other device.
The only way you would get a loop is if you were to plug 2 port together on the modem or for example to plug 2 cables between a switch and your modem/router.

Hard to say why something would show up in your router and not others. A switch is completely transparent it is almost impossible to detect even when you try to. Now your router might figure out that more than one device is connected to a physical port but even that is unlikely. Internally the the lan ports look like a 5 ports switch. There 4 you see and the 5th going to the router chip. So from the routers chips view everything is connected to that one port no matter how many switches you have behind it.

The only way the DVR could affect your router is if it was somehow spoofing a mac or ip address.

rodz3323

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
Not really a broken ethernet generally causes the device it is hooked to get data loss or maybe even a disconnected state it does not really affect any other device.
The only way you would get a loop is if you were to plug 2 port together on the modem or for example to plug 2 cables between a switch and your modem/router.

Hard to say why something would show up in your router and not others. A switch is completely transparent it is almost impossible to detect even when you try to. Now your router might figure out that more than one device is connected to a physical port but even that is unlikely. Internally the the lan ports look like a 5 ports switch. There 4 you see and the 5th going to the router chip. So from the routers chips view everything is connected to that one port no matter how many switches you have behind it.

The only way the DVR could affect your router is if it was somehow spoofing a mac or ip address.
alright i didnt think a defective cord would do something like that . i wil lplay around . im sure i will get things sorted

rodz3323

Reputable
Mar 10, 2020
well well well worked out the issue . ended up replacing them security cameras but the issue still was happaning . then i started looking at everything else connected in the room with the modem and DVR and one of my refrigerators was casuing the problem as once i unplugged it the problem stopped and once i plugged it back in . sure enough the problem came back . odd though . mus be pulling too much power for a split second and cauing somesort of power fluctuation as the compressor kicks on and off . just my guess . the refrigerator is going in the bin lol might take a sledge hammer to it 1st to make up for all the frustration it caused me hahaha

idk maybe this can help someone in the future so thought id shear