Network logon failure unknown user name or bad password

Status
Not open for further replies.

watsonj1

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I am trying to network two win 7 computers. I get the screen Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
I have gone done the following: 1. Same user names and password 2. disabled windows firewall and avg free. 3. Answered "On" to all private network selections. 4. Local security policy to classic 5. Shared files I want to access. 6. Home group named as workgroup

The computer comes up in the Networking and Sharing. When selected I get the screen Logon failure: unknown username or bad password. I have even had my ISP pro look at this and he cannot figure it out. Same thing has happened to me in vista. I am using new win 7 installs. I can map drives with ip addresses and access.

Please advise if anyone has a solution or suggestion.

Thanks, James

lzacharyjw

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I had the same problem. I know with my laptop i don't seem to have a problem with it, but now with my desktop it's a hole different story. It keeps trying to use a domain on my desktop to login. I know i'm running a windows home server. I have tryed changing the domain to match my windows home server. But it's still not working.

watsonj1

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

I took your advise and sync all the clocks. That did not help. Well I have done all the standard things, same user name, same password, firewall check, netplwiz adjustments, shares, ip pro came over could not figure out. Now I have 3 xp, 3 vista, 3 win computers on home network. I have one Laptop 64 bit vista ultimate that can communicate with most others. I guess I will let some time pass until I figure out this problem. My internet works fine and I can see all other computers fine from win 7

watsonj1

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
watsonj1
The only computer that works properly is my Laptop Vista 64 bit. so won't be upgrading.
Other computers on the network will not work on network with out the message that I have documented.
I have tried everything, even had IT Professional come out and work three hours. Said he could not figure out.
Microsoft reps have answered forms but left me hanging.
I cannot get to work eventhough I have worked endless hours.
I have a hammer storage unt 2 T cannot access it except with the laptop.
Every now and then I can get other devices or computers, but not very often.
My Internet works, phone works, printer works, and the laptop.
I will continue to monitor forums and work on problem but for now cannot figure it out.
Regards, James

legoman666

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
I cannot believe that this worked. I have spent hours trying to get my Win7 machine to access shares that it had no problems accessing in the past.

I should buy you a beer.

G

I didn't beleive it myself. I was trying to connect a Windows 7 machine to a Windows XP machine via SMB. Kept saying bad username / password. Changed the time on my Windows XP machine to the correct time (it was about a month out). SMB connection then connected successfully.

That's dumb! Thanks for the information guys.

G

I didn't beleive it myself. I was trying to connect a Windows 7 machine to a Windows XP machine via SMB. Kept saying bad username / password. Changed the time on my Windows XP machine to the correct time (it was about a month out). SMB connection then connected successfully.

That's dumb! Thanks for the information guys.
thank you so much!

i was having trouble accessing from 7 the folders shared on XP, i had searched and tried everything and nothing was working. turns out it was the date and time that were wrong on the XP machine!

vanzanten

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Here same problem. I really tried everything, up to installing three different versions of W7. But still get the message "unknown username or bad password". All my other computers work well, just my new laptop doesn't.....

al_48

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Fought this problem for a whole day!.. with windows 7 home premium could log on to other computers on my network but not my windows 2000 server.
Turns out that while the time and date were correct on the w7 machine, the time zone had not been set up correctly. When the time zone + the time and date were all within range of each other, the w 2000 server then accepted the login from the W7 machine.

I did find a post somewhere saying that the time had to be within say 30 minutes of the server or it would regard it as being invalid.

So, check the time zone as well as the date and time.

vanzanten

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
I found the solution after lots of hours..... When I installed Windows 7 on my computers accounts with the name USER were created on both of them. Normally -after finishing the installation- I create a new account (named VANZANTEN) to work with. This time I decided to rename the account USER to VANZANTEN. But I didn't manage to log in with the username VANZANTEN and my password (let's say 1234). At some moment (after many, many hours and changing all sorts of things in my settings) I must have seen the light and tried to log in with username USER and the password 1234. And guess what: it worked immediately! (after that I spent several hours to reset all kinds of setting that I changed that didn't have to be changed.....).

jaydenl

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
wow - vanzanten's fix worked for me!!! :D The system time simply was not the solution for me. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS connected via the network, and no matter what I tried I could not prevent Windows 7 from giving this "Network logon failure unknown user name or bad password" error after restarting the computer, or logging off & logging on.

It connects fine when you do it manually - but it would never remember the credentials - even when you select the "Connect using different credentials" and to "remember my credentials".

My system username was the same as the username on the ReadyNAS. I changed the ReadyNAS username by adding one letter - everything connected, and reconnected on log on :na:

Thanks vanzanten!

Status
Not open for further replies.