[SOLVED] Network: Public/ Private

Pez

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Hi all.

Since I now have Windows 11 as my OS and Windows 10 is not in front of me....I can't go look at Windows 10 to check this out & compare ;)

In Windows 11, if you click on Settings/ Network & Internet/ Ethernet, inside of here there is (by Default, I believe) a radio button already in "Public (Recommended)" in Network Profile Type (the other one available for a radio button is "Private").

As I mentioned, I don't have a Win 10 OS in front of me to check & compare, but was there something like this in Win 10?

Anyway, I know that with the release of Windows 11, security-minded stuff seemed of utmost importance to Microsoft (I know one thing I had to adjust in my motherboard's BIOS was the Trusted Platform Module/ TPM). Well, I think (and I also came across this in an article) this "Public (Recommended)" in Network Profile Type thing is done, in-part, for security & safety reasons; meaning: It starts you off in this "Public" mode to protect you, in that your device is not discoverable on the network. I noticed in this Windows 11 setting that it says "....when connected to a network at home, work, or in a public place".

"Home"? Uhmmm, that's where you're usually most safe :p.....but not always, right?

Soooo....if I feel as though my home environment (not an apartment, but a single, lone-standing home) is safe, is there any harm in switching it over to "Private"? According to what it says in this setting in Windows 11, this is if you "....know and trust the people and devices on this network".

Please let me know what you think; thanks,
Pez

Solution
Public is if you are connecting to some public resource, like a coffee shop or hotel.

Private is for your home network.

"Public" is NOT the default.
It is just a matter of the selection you made when installing the OS and setting up the connection.

Here is mine:
JffXv8C.png

USAFRet

Titan
Public is if you are connecting to some public resource, like a coffee shop or hotel.

Private is for your home network.

"Public" is NOT the default.
It is just a matter of the selection you made when installing the OS and setting up the connection.

Here is mine:
JffXv8C.png

Solution
Jan 17, 2022
with a desktop I had it set to never even prompt me to download windows 10 upgrades since 2018. I finally caved.
now the computers in the house dont talk to each other.

What are network credentials. Is the username the name of the computer, or is it that idiotic username microsoft shoves down our throats for which i have no use of. i dont lock any computers and certainly will never use hotmail, windows mail and definelty never use bing or internet explorer or edge

NETWORK CREDENTIALS DIALOG BOX

Don't hijack threads!

Open command prompt, execute "echo %username%". This is your user name. Make an account on the other computer with same user name, same password as on this computer.

In your case, your Yahoo email address could be your user name, as this is what you've probably used to register a Microsoft account for.