[SOLVED] Network Security, Fiber to the home.

Aug 3, 2019
So I have never dealt with a wired network in the home but have realized that Cat5e was ran as phone line to all rooms in my 2002 build that that I recently purchased. I have already converted several of these phone lines to ethernet and they are working well.

My question is I have fiber to the home. I cut the cord except for internet and basically I have a Cat6 coming in from the cable provider's outside box. No modem or router but a direct connection that I am aware of. There may be one in the providers outside box but not sure. I have installed an un-managed 8 port switch that I had laying around and hooked 2 of my TVs and a desk top computer up to that incoming feed and they are working at 250 mbps. I also run a feed to my wireless router from that switch. I know that if I would run those tv and computer feeds through the router I'd get some security benefits but the location and and issue that I am having with the router (limits me to 100 mbps wired or wireless - ASUS RT-AC66R so it shouldn't - posted about this in the wireless forum) precludes me from doing this. My question is what are my security risks going directly to the desktop and tvs? If there is a risk what should be my approach to secure? Some sort of secured/managed switch? Is there a such thing as a wired router for security? Other?

Thank you for your advice!

Andy

Last edited:
Solution
There absolutely needs to be a 'router' in the mix.
That is what serves IP addresses to your internal devices, both wired and WiFi.

Generally, it goes like this:
ISP->box on the house->router->switch and devices.

If your current router is limited to 100mbps, you need a better router.

USAFRet

Titan
There absolutely needs to be a 'router' in the mix.
That is what serves IP addresses to your internal devices, both wired and WiFi.

Generally, it goes like this:
ISP->box on the house->router->switch and devices.

If your current router is limited to 100mbps, you need a better router.

Solution
Not exactly sure what you are talking about.

A typical home network, ALL OF THE DEVICES are hooked up BEHIND a router, this is your firewall. In fact you cannot hook up anything BEFORE the router, because the router also is the same box that does NAT, and NAT is a needed service to allow multiple devices. Devices BEHIND router considered safe.