Question Network starts lagging when pc is turned on

Apr 6, 2022
So I got my pc from a family member a while ago, but in recent times have noticed it has some problems with it. When the pc is turned off, my network works perfectly fine for everyone in the house, wireless and wired. Although as soon as the pc is running the internet starts to lag with big lag spikes everyone 10-15 minutes with it completely freezing for about 10 seconds. I've tried running Malware and virus scans on the pc, but it comes out with nothing. A short time before I got my pc from my brother our internet was under a DDoS attack from that specific pc. And so I know later thought that this may have something to do with the network issues, since they only begin when this pc is booted and connected to the internet. I've tried doing a factory reset on our router but nothing changed. I've checked the task manager one or two times, but didn't really find anything odd that shouldn't be running. The IP is changed from when the DDoS attack occurred, since we first thought it was the same person sending packets over and over again.

Anyone knows what this could be the cause of? Is there a way to see where the lag spikes are coming from if there is a program sending a bunch of packets?

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd try a clean install of the OS after you've recreated the OS installer to root out any malware that might be lurking on the platform. What OS are you working with? Mind sharing the specs to your system? Make and model of your (router) device from the ISP?

When posting specs, list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Apr 6, 2022
Thanks for the welcome,

I'm on Windows 10 pro using an Asus RT-AC68U router

Specs:

CPU: Intel core i7 3770
Motherboard: msi b75ma-p45
Ram: 16gb
SSD/HDD: 250gb ssd, 1tb hdd, 2tb hdd
GPU: Geforce gtx 1060 6gb
PSU:850watt corsair

First check that the IP address of the pc does not conflict with any other IP. If it is set to use DHCP the router should prevent any conflict, if you have it manually set then it is more likely you can get a conflict.

I would watch the network tab in the resource monitor and see if there is any traffic that starts when you are seeing issues on other machines. Maybe you machine is download or uploading large amounts of data and over utilizing the internet connection.

Apr 6, 2022
i did monitor the traffic when the network was having issues and it detected around 300 requests from an ip adress that is assigned to facebook. Am I in the wrong or could the ip adress be wrong?

Unless you have something like port forwarding tuned on any traffic from external is blocked at the router including facebook. The only traffic a PC would see is traffic that is being returned from that IP because the PC first requested a connection.

You might be able to tell what process on the pc is opening all those sessions. What you might find though it is just maps back to chrome or something. Facebook in particular has massive amounts of tracking advertising. I have set my ad and script blocks to not allow any facebook stuff.

Apr 6, 2022
i noticed that my own ip adress is sending tons of "client hello" to facebooks servers at once then when recieving answer back from facebooks ip the router crashes.

Last edited: