Network Storage: Three NAS Units Rounded Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
If you want something simple to share data at home I cant figure out why anyone would buy a cheap NAS that gives less than 15 mbps or something outrageous costing over $700. Why not build your own using low power cpu that would perform much better than the cheap NAS devices and still come in hundreds of dollars less than the overpriced NAS devices?

yourhighness

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]If you want something simple to share data at home I cant figure out why anyone would buy a cheap NAS that gives less than 15 mbps or something outrageous costing over $700. Why not build your own using low power cpu that would perform much better than the cheap NAS devices and still come in hundreds of dollars less than the overpriced NAS devices?[/citation]

THIS

yourhighness

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]yourhighness[/nom]More on this Topic....?Hitting the link for the last page just gives me a blank pop-up box....Using Chrome.[/citation]
Grabbing the link from the drop down works fine, but from the conclusion page going to the next page is broken.

theJ

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]yourhighness[/nom]More on this Topic....?Hitting the link for the last page just gives me a blank pop-up box....Using Chrome.[/citation]

That's all it is. More ads so they can pay the bills.

G

If you want to build your own rock-solid RAID NAS, and do so with cheap old hardware, check out my guide on building a Linux RAID-5 NAS. I wrote this guide so even someone who has never worked with Linux before can get it up and running, and maintain it, very easily! Hope this helps someone out there!
Go to my site at: http://cobraftp.serveftp.com and click on Linux.. then at the top is the PDF, which is labeled "Linux RAID-5 How-to Guide"

G

how did you exclude the new Readynas NVX? seems kinda silly without that leader in both functionality and performance involved

snarfies

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again - I don't know what this site's obsession is with NAS devices, but the NS3200N is the first NAS ever reviewed here that isn't an overpriced and underperforming piece of garbage! Shame I didn't know about it sooner - I just dropped $300 on a Mini-ITX Atom 330 MB and case to make my own NAS, and I haven't even bought the two drives for my RAID1 yet. I hope I'll get better results...

voodooaddict

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]Your opion is sought: Why not buy an HP MediaSmart system? It costs less than the Qnap device and seems to be similarly capable?[/citation]

I'm wondering the same thing. Why wasn't one of the MS Home Server units included. None of these units are putting out blazing transfer rates.

The only thing I can figure is that these NAS units could be used for business as well as home use. Where the MS Home server is really just for home use.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I wouldn't use any of these devices for critical live biz data. Setup as near-line backup devices, sure. But not live data.

G

Actually.. this review is a bit short.. not a comparison for all nas boxes.. just a chumped up silly list of nas boxes that he writer found at the time. rather pathetic actually.
just to spin a spanner.. try freenas.. www.freenas.com

G

My opinion of QNAP is that it is an overpriced piece of garbage. When it works, everything is great, but when it goes wrong, make sure that you have taken an IT degree before even attempting to fix it. It is not user friendly at all, doesn't give any meaningful error messages, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, with no clue as to what the problem is. Don't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.