Network Switch not working for some devices

eprpalmeida

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Hi guys, recently I´ve bought a network switch (D-link DES-1016A https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-16-Port-Gigabit-Switch-DGS-1016A/dp/B0092KZBCQ) to my house. I connected an ethernet cable end on my ZTE modem and the other one on the switch. The first cable that I tried was the Ethernet cable of my PC. It worked without any issues. I connected the cable of my Smart TV to the switch and then, didn´t work. I unplugged it and connected to the modem directly, and worked. I noticed other devices that worked with the switch (my laptop and my PC) and devices that didn´t work (smart TV and 2 access points). These devices that didn´t work with the switch works flawless when connected directly to the modem.

I tried changing cables but it is not the problem. What could be causing this issue?

Solution

OK, if that is the case, my guess would be the "Green Ethernet" feature of that switch causing problems.

eprpalmeida

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Sorry, forgot to specify, it is a modem and a router, on the same device.

kanewolf

Titan

OK, if that is the case, my guess would be the "Green Ethernet" feature of that switch causing problems.

Solution

krotos1970

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014

I have the switch connected between the modem and the router, the router gets internet but other devices via switch don't, devices do get internet via modem - switch - router, only the router is able to communicate with the switch, so you saying that switch would communicate with other devices if it's on other side of router?