[SOLVED] Networking issue, can't figure out the problem.

Nov 14, 2019
So, this is both wireless and wired networking. For months, I've had the same exact setup I have now, and the internet always worked awesome. I did in fact get a new modem, but my speeds were effected BEFORE I installed the new modem. My modem says it's getting full speed (1000mbps) and my router has a built in speed test which says its getting 900-950, which is perfectly alright. But both wired and wireless, I am getting 400 or less wired, and only 30 wireless, when usually I'd get full router speeds through wired, and get 300-400 over wireless. I've tried factory resetting, I've tried multiple different speed tests also. I have nothing that's doing massive downloads or anything. I don't think it's something hogging the internet either, but I haven't really tested that yet and I highly doubt one device uses THAT MUCH bandwidth. All I have is phones, a couple laptops, and an xbox and a couple rokus. Any ideas? These have all always been connected to the network, nothing new.

Solution
That router has the Killer networking hardware. That is intended to prioritize gaming traffic. It generally DOES limit download throughput. I don't have any experience with this hardware so I don't know if you can disable that prioritization. With gigabit WAN speeds, prioritization like that is usually a negative.
Nov 14, 2019
Do a factory reset of your router. Then set ONLY the admin password, WIFI SSIDs and passwords and any ISP specific requirements.
That will usually restore the wired performance.

What model router do you have?
That's actually what I tried when I reset, same result as before. I have a linksys WRT32X. My modem in case it's needed is a C3000Z (idk what brand it is, but it's a required modem for my gigabit to be able to be used)

kanewolf

Titan
That router has the Killer networking hardware. That is intended to prioritize gaming traffic. It generally DOES limit download throughput. I don't have any experience with this hardware so I don't know if you can disable that prioritization. With gigabit WAN speeds, prioritization like that is usually a negative.

Solution
Nov 14, 2019
Yeah, but thing is, it's worked perfectly fine for months until now. It has the killer prioritization, but it also has regular prioritization where you can manually prioritize devices, which you can't disable, but you can leave everything at normal prioritization and it'll keep everything equal. So I'm not understanding what's going on with it, it's the most confusing thing I've had with a network in all my years of buying routers and modems. If this continues to act up, I'll switch to my asus and see if that helps.

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Can you test each component individually? Unplug everything and plug your PC into your modem. Do a handful of speed tests and also try fast.com a bunch of times and save the results. Then add your router and plug your PC directly into that (with a short cable, right next to it to avoid any cabling issues in the walls). Then try back in your usual setup. See where the problem lies.

You don't have other switches or things that could be causing a network loop do you?

Nov 14, 2019
Can you test each component individually? Unplug everything and plug your PC into your modem. Do a handful of speed tests and also try fast.com a bunch of times and save the results. Then add your router and plug your PC directly into that (with a short cable, right next to it to avoid any cabling issues in the walls). Then try back in your usual setup. See where the problem lies. Something I noticed while I tested the other day, my upload is normal but my download is extremely slow. Interesting. No switches or anything, just a modem in transparent bridging and a router.