Networking question regarding access point

jeffj123

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
Hello, so this is my question. I have wireless internet connection but the router is situated downstairs. I recently built a pc and require internet connection on it and it sits upstairs. I have a spare identical router to the one downstairs. So the question is this, can I use the spare router to pick up wireless signal from my downstairs one and then transfer it to my pc through an ethernet cable so that I can get internet on my pc? Schematically, Router (Downstairs) -> Router (Upstairs) -> PC (Ethernet cable connected to router upstairs).

If this is even possible, then what is this procedure called so that I can look it up on google. Many thanks, Jeff

Solution
It's called wireless bridge mode. Some routers support this in native firmware, and some others can accept 3rd party firmware that will enable this function. There are routers that can't and will not support this mode.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable
It's called wireless bridge mode. Some routers support this in native firmware, and some others can accept 3rd party firmware that will enable this function. There are routers that can't and will not support this mode.

Solution