Networking Switch - PoE vs. PoE injectors

hawkins12

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
I was looking at getting a networking switch. I'll need to run at least one Ubiq. Access Point and I may add a couple security cameras in the future. My question is:

Are there any significant differences between the TL-SG1016PE and the TL-SG1016. They are both 16 port gigabit switches. I understand the PE includes PoE+; however, the TL-SG1016 is $100 cheaper and I felt it may be cheaper to get that with a couple PoE injectors. Outside of needing to plug in each PoE injector to a power outlet, am I missing any other benefits of the TL-SG1016PE vs. the TL-SG1016/D.

In addition - are there better options for 16 or 24 port network switches?

Thanks!

Solution
If you were just planning on running one device that was POE, such as the AP, then I would say standard switch and use the POE injector that comes with the AP. Since you said that you were going to run the AP and security cameras, I would do it the right way and buy a POE switch. There are issues with both, if you buy a standard switch and use injectors, that's another piece of the puzzle to have to troubleshoot should something stop working. If you go with a POE switch, that's added up front money and you need to make sure that the POE switch is properly rated to be able to run the devices you have been looking at since there are a few different levels/voltages for POE. Like I said though, I would do it the right way with a POE...

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
If you were just planning on running one device that was POE, such as the AP, then I would say standard switch and use the POE injector that comes with the AP. Since you said that you were going to run the AP and security cameras, I would do it the right way and buy a POE switch. There are issues with both, if you buy a standard switch and use injectors, that's another piece of the puzzle to have to troubleshoot should something stop working. If you go with a POE switch, that's added up front money and you need to make sure that the POE switch is properly rated to be able to run the devices you have been looking at since there are a few different levels/voltages for POE. Like I said though, I would do it the right way with a POE switch. As for brands, there are inexpensive DLink POE switches, I have a DLink 1210-10P and those work pretty well as long as you run less than half of the ports powering POE.

Solution
Hi,
I manage wireless network in a motel with 12 rooms and a lot of dead zone.
My best bid so far is with engenius equipment.

They are as expensive as Ubiq. but, in the long run less problematic.
They last longer (1 year solid, second year a few reboots, 3 year more frequent).

With any other brand, even new, we need to reboot them daily (Ubiq, dlink, ect.)

For POE, looks like recent equipment all go down the road so stuck with that.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Dextermat, I run Ubiquiti APs at my job and I never have to reboot them and I've had them running for over a year. I even bought cheap 2.4 UAP-LR access points running about $85 each. If you are having those kind of issues then you might have something else going on as opposed to the Ubiquiti APs.