Networking without internet

terranrus

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I have FOUR (4) windows 8.1 laptops and THREE (3) windows 7 laptops. I am trying to network them using homesharing and a Nexxxt 8 port 10/100 Mbps switch.

They will be used on the go in areas without internet - i just need them to see each other and access shared files.

I have removed all anti virus software - save microsoft security essentials to avoid any firewall issues.

I plug everything in with the correct cables, I get limited connection (again I am not connected to the internet and the location comes up as public.

I try to create a homegroup but I am unable to do so because it says It needs to be set to home/private. I can only do this when I go on the internet and then I can create a homegroup.

The problem is when I do create the homegroup (using the internet and then disconnecting) I can see all the computers but when i try to access the files. It says " Windows cannot access \\computername\file i am trying to access"

Can someone help me solve this problem

Solution
You have them all in a switch, how are you assigning IP addresses to the computers? You need to set them all up on a static IP. The limited connection is likely there because you have them setu for DHCP and if you only have them on a switch, there is nothing assigning an IP. That means it sees the cable in the port and there is a signal there, but it does not know how to communicate.
You have them all in a switch, how are you assigning IP addresses to the computers? You need to set them all up on a static IP. The limited connection is likely there because you have them setu for DHCP and if you only have them on a switch, there is nothing assigning an IP. That means it sees the cable in the port and there is a signal there, but it does not know how to communicate.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS