Networking

spots

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Okay my internet cable line comes into the house and is connected to the internet cable box. Can I unhook the cable to the internet cable box and use it to connect a router or a wifi unit or do I need both of these. I want to use my HDTV to receive internet live TV or is this possible and still be able to surf the web at the same time on my computer?? My computer is Win-XP and can accept wireless connections.

I'm assuming the line going to your modem is a coaxial cable. That cable wouldn't go to a router. You'll need an ethernet cable to go from the modem, to a router.

For your desktop, you can either get a wireless adapter, to pick up the wireless signal from a router, or run a network cable between the router and the PC.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If your cable modem has an available ethernet port you can either connect an Access Point or Wireless router to it. An access point can be used to connect wireless devices (laptops, tablets, smart phones etc) while a wireless router can be used to connect both wired and wireless devices.
Choose which one of the two best suits your situation...