Neuromorphic Supercomputer With 1 Million Cores Mimics the Human Brain

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
A roomful of computers to mimic a human mind, let me know when its scales down to a wrist watch size, then I would be worried

stdragon

Admirable
The only brain closer to that of Human's in terms of size ratio is that of a dolphin. They have bigger brains, but also a larger body. Yet, I'm supposed to take it on "faith" that these hyper complex and fast computer can mimic the intelligence of a human? No, in fact we relate far more closely to that of said swimming mammal.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
1,000,000 cores seems like it should be a good start since there are so many things that the brain does that they don't have to mimic, like the 5 senses, regulating the body's functions, storing long term memories, etc. this can provide a good simulation of how the brain might perform a single task.

USAFRet

Titan

We went to the Moon with less computer power than what lives in your phone, so....

shadeablaze

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
If the computer has as much processing power as the brain - then you must remember that they don't forget or sleep.

claychilde

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Makes you think of the miraculous nature of a brain -any brain - when even an enormous room-sized computer can't even mimic the function of a mouse brain.

bloodroses

Distinguished

Sure they sleep, they dream of electric sheep. Well, we're not quite to android level yet though... lol.

Also, bear this quote in mind from The Terminator:
Kyle Reese: "Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."

stdragon

Admirable
Sleep is a function hardware, in our case, biology (chemistry). It's nessary for writing out long-term memories in long molecular chains and repairing damage. Silicon based hardware function at a whole other level per the laws of physics.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015

Accepting the possibility of a creator means so many things as to be truly frightening. That being said, I'll still accept Pascal's wager any day. If the possibility of an eternal soul exists, however the slightest, then wouldn't it be wise to not guarantee yourself HELL?

rr999999999

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013

stdragon

Admirable

God gave mice two balls, but man only gives one. Too bad the one we created was much harder to clean. Now they're optical :)

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014

God gave mice teeth, we gave them lasers.

stdragon

Admirable
Right, but raw neuron count isn't as important as how they operate or rather, how specialized they are. The real number that gives intelligence are the number of neurons that make up the cerebral cortex.