Question New 3900x build shut down...

timg65

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
Looks like I'm yet another 3900x user with heat problems.

My complete build is here:

Mid-Budget Ryzen Productivity Monster

Had no issues at all for the first couple weeks. I haven't been doing a huge amount of office work, but I've run Photoshop, Illustrator, the usual suspects with no hint of a problem. And I always have a bunch of apps open etc.

Tonight I was just doing a casual render of an extremely simple 3D scene (Poser 11) just to see what it would do and was browsing the Internet. My machine powered down, and every time I tried to start it back up, it would power down a few seconds into the reboot attempt. I was thinking, crap — bad motherboard or maybe power supply. But I finally got into the BIOS and saw that the temps were 100+ and climbing by the second. I just got a look at it for about 5 seconds before the machine powered off again.

At the moment, I'm just letting it cool, but obviously I'm concerned. I'm not overclocking or doing anything unusual, and I've got a very well reviewed CPU cooler (Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo). Granted, I just stuck with the stock case fans, but I'm not pushing the machine at all, and it's very cool in my office too boot.

Any thoughts?

timg65

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
Something is definitely abnormal here. I just rebooted into BIOS for about two minutes. She started off in the mid-60s and was already at 100 degrees when I shut it down again. Even if I had no fans running, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't see those temps with no load whatsoever.

Xtergo

Reputable
May 4, 2015
It looks like even though you have a really nice cooler (and hopefully a decent power supply)..

The cooler's base isn't making the right contact with the CPU. What you can do is
  • Change the thermal paste once again
  • Check if the CPU fans are spinning
  • If the cooler is seated correctly and screws fastened

Reactions: timg65

timg65

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
EPIC — the cooler came with thermal paste.

Xtergo, good catch. I opened up my case and discovered that the 34 was physically loose. I now remember that I wasn't sure about the Arctic Freezer's standoffs when I put everything together. It appeared that there were three different sets of standoffs, and the set I thought I should use only had two, while the others had four. I ended up using the longest ones, and I now realize things didn't get snug against the back plate. I suppose I was fooled by the initial stickiness of the thermal paste to think I had everything good.

I'm trying to re-research the standoffs at the moment, but the other set of four that I didn't use is shorter than the one I did, so perhaps that one will work. I'm not sure why one set only has two.

I'm hoping my leftover thermal paste is still good.

timg65

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
After doing more double-checking, it definitely looks like the AM4 standoffs are the ones I only received two. The threads on the other short set are not compatible with the back plate. :\

timg65

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
So I managed to reinstall pretty snugly with the proper two standoffs installed diagonally from one another. I requested a proper set from Arctic, so it would probably do until then.

Except that now my system is not recognizing the CPU fan at all. I think I may have damaged a prong or something during the replacement process.

Sometimes you just can't win.

EDIT: Never mind. Brain cramp, probably because I'm doing this in the middle of the night. Bottom line, it's always helpful to have the thing plugged in correctly. :)

Last edited: