Question New 4080 Underperforming

Nov 5, 2023
Hello everyone,

I've recently upgraded my GPU to a Gigabyte RTX 4080 Eagle OC and it seems to be underperforming according to benchmark testing and experience I've had in games.
The other hardware I'm using is as follows:
i9 9900k
z390 Maximus Hero XI Wifi
Corsair rm1000x shift

I had done a fresh install of windows 10 (64 bit) and ran DDU before installing drivers for GPU.
This is my 3dMark score on Timespy (18900, average for a 4080 should be way higher): https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/102193996?
Another image of my results: View: https://imgur.com/uKOc91F

I ran the same benchmark completely stock and then recently overclocked with MSI afterburner and got about the same.

Any advice you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Dang I must have misread this when I ran it, looks like it is not running in x16? The card is in the PCIe x16 slot on my motherboard (top slot, PCIEX16_1) How do you force it to run x16?
You don't as this part is automatic and the only time it should be different than x16 is if something was in the second x16 slot and dropped it to x8. Typically what would be going on here is the card isn't plugged in all the way, the card is faulty or the motherboard is.

First thing I'd do is pull the card out, make sure there's nothing obvious wrong with the card or slot itself and plug it back in. Then if that still doesn't work plug your old card back in and see what that does. That should tell you if it's your video card or motherboard.

Wuwu

Great
Oct 30, 2023
i9 9900K is now a very slow CPU, people need to stop pairing it with high end GPU's.

The 7900 XT and up need 5800x3D minimum.

Just to show you how massive the gap is between your 4080 which is a faster GPU and my 7900 XT..

image-2023-11-01-231839857.png

The first thing I can think of is using GPU-Z to make sure the card is running PCIe 3.0 x16 (you may need to run the built in test to get it to show correctly its the ? next to the bus interface). If you happen to be using a riser cable it's possible for them to go bad, but that usually shows up differently.

You can also check GPU power consumption and clockspeeds to make sure it is operating correctly (without seeing the end run clock graphs it's not really possible to assess based on the 3dmark results).

The card is running in 3.0 according to GPU-Z.
Is it running x16 though? that's the important part here.
The monitoring graphs look very similar to mine so there's nothing particularly sending up red flags out of that. Clockspeed and usage seem to be as expected... the VRAM seems like it might be running a bit slow, but absolutely wouldn't be causing this.

Definitely run latencymon as suggested above.

Maybe run CrystalDiskInfo and CrystalDiskMark just to ensure your storage is operating correctly.

I certainly agree there's something very wrong with the performance you're seeing as your graphics score is lower than mine and that should be impossible.

Wuwu

Great
Oct 30, 2023
I want to point out that I have seen a lot of issues with the Intel 9000 and 8000 series from Nvidia 3000 series and 4000 series.

Some of it linked to motherboard settings, but overall for whatever reason, yes on paper a 9900K especially at 5ghz should be ok with something like a 3090, but people come in droves saying there are performance issues outside of the norm

The 4080 is not a slow card, as pointed out previously, your CPU score is not too far from a 5800x3D, ideal in fact, then you see your GPU score and it is abysmally bad.

"Yes I do, and it is bottlenecking hard. My 9900kf is oced at 5.00ghz all cores, rtx 4080FE is bone stock and no oc at all. Average wattage in Cyberpunk at ultrawide 3440x1440 raytraced I am seeing GPU usage anywhere from 70-88% while CPU is at 66-87% usage, GPU wattage is around 180w-245w, which goes for native at max settings rtx on, dlss rtx off, dlss rtx on. I upgraded from 3080ti fe, and I am very impressed with the new performance, thermals and noise but I will be upgrading my motherboard, ram, and cpu now. Recently ditched my 4k ROG PG27UQ for the alienware qd-oled, so not sure about the 4k situation."

"I was averaging half the fps compared to benchmarks with newer cpus. The 9900k will absolutely bottleneck the 4080. Literally taking away half the fps performance of the gpu at 1440p in my case. I would have to basically build a brand new rig to fully utilize the 4080. So I’ve decided to return it. My 2070 super can’t run newer titles at max settings but it can run most at high. I’ll wait until my rig can’t run anything at medium settings above 60fps before I’ll upgrade. So maybe the 6 or 7xxx series gpu’s. Cheers."

"Recently upgraded to 7800X3D from 9900k with 4080 FE. Bottleneck was huge even at 4K on CPU intensive games. Baldur’s Gate 3 would dip into mid 20’s on 9900k with DLSS performance. Now I’m getting 117 locked with DLSS quality at 4K."

I would have said it is your motherboard but you are not running some low end board either.

Have you attempted to update your motherboards bios?

This video pairs the 9900K with a 3080 vs the newer chips, just look how big the gap is with just a 3080 in games.

It's a very cut and dry case to me and obvious.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023
Last edited:
Dang I must have misread this when I ran it, looks like it is not running in x16? The card is in the PCIe x16 slot on my motherboard (top slot, PCIEX16_1) How do you force it to run x16?
You don't as this part is automatic and the only time it should be different than x16 is if something was in the second x16 slot and dropped it to x8. Typically what would be going on here is the card isn't plugged in all the way, the card is faulty or the motherboard is.

First thing I'd do is pull the card out, make sure there's nothing obvious wrong with the card or slot itself and plug it back in. Then if that still doesn't work plug your old card back in and see what that does. That should tell you if it's your video card or motherboard.

Solution
Nov 5, 2023

I've pulled out the card and re-seated it, did another fresh install of windows as well. That seems to have done the trick. Thank you Stryker!
View: https://imgur.com/f0H9Mjt

Reactions: thestryker