Question New 4090 Build Powering Down at Random Intervals

Feb 8, 2023
💻 Specs:

• PNY 4090
  • 7700X
  • B650 Aorus Pro
  • G.Skill Flare X5 Series (AMD Expo) 32GB
  • MSI MPG A1000G PCIE 5.0 1000W (ATX 3.0)
  • SAMSUNG 980 PRO
  • Corsair iCUE H150i
  • Lian Li UNI FAN SL120 (x6)
  • 64-bit Windows 11 Professional (10.0.22621)

🧑‍⚕️Symptoms:

PC fully powers off at random intervals - anywhere from 3 minutes to 3+ hours - with no correlation to workload or activity.
Thermals seem to be fine (GPU and CPU are both under 40c under light workload. CPU had an average of 80c under 3DMark Benchmark).

🛠️ Attempted Solutions:

• Updated BIOS to latest firmware.
  • Applied all Windows Updates.
  • Updated NVIDIA drivers.
  • Tried with EXPO enabled/disabled.
  • Checked all connections to PSU and Mobo.
  • Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic test on both RAM sticks individually - no errors detected.
  • Tried multiple RAM configurations (Slots 2/4 as the manufacturer recommends, only in slot 2, only in slot 4)
  • Cried under desk.
  • Reviewed Event Viewer and Reliability History for any additional details preceeding crashes (nothing helpful - "Windows was not properly shut down").
  • SFC scan and Dism (System32\drivers\bthmodem.sys was identified as corrupted and subsequently repaired)

I splurged and bought this as a birthday gift to myself last week, and I've been losing sleep over it since. This is my third build, but my first in ~6 years, so it is entirely possible I am missing something obvious.

I am a desperate man, any and all insight you could provide would be incredibly appreciated. 🙏

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Could you see if sourcing(borrowing) a PSU that's equally built but with a higher wattage to provide for the entire build helps alleviate the issue? Just for the sake of relevance, can you state the BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? Where did you source the installer for Windows 11?

Feb 8, 2023
Thanks for the welcome! I'm afraid I don't have access to an appropriately large PSU to test with, but if I get desperate enough I could order another 1200W ATX 3.0 PSU to try - but I'd like to exhaust all options first.

I'm now on version F3 of the BIOS (upgrading from F1). There were two updates mentioning 4090s since then, so I was hopeful, but it appears to not have changed anything.

The installer for Windows 11 I got directly from Microsoft, and used a product key from my MSDN account.

Feb 8, 2023
Would a UPS be a worthwhile investment from a debugging standpoint here? Is it possible that I'm getting transient voltage spikes (or something of the like) that a UPS could potentially prevent?

Are there any obvious mistakes that I could have made when installing the PSU that I can check for now (things touching that shouldn't, etc)?

TRENDING THREADS