New 5770 causing computer to crash?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fromac

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Hi guys,

I've recently had to do a lot of tweaking with my computer. I found out my old motherboard died, so I bought a new one, and also a new 5770. I have been playing WoW for about 2 weeks with no signs of any problems. I've started playing Battlefield Bad Company 2, and I had a crash today, which froze the entire system and required a hard reboot.

The only change in between what I did when I first started playing BFBC2, and when it started crashing was that I changed the jumpers on my motherboard from +5V to +5VSB to enable the Windows 7 sleep mode to power down my system fans.

I suspect that the video card is the culprit because I ran a stability test in furmark, and my system did freeze (although it completed several benchmark tests), although that doesn't really tell me anything new. I was able to successfully play BFBC2 and WoW this afternoon for 4 hours with no problems, but coming back 2 hours later, it crashed 2 minutes into WoW (but I had been surfing the internet for ~15 minutes).

I see a lot of variation in the time it takes me to POST and boot, when the system boots quickly, it usually doesn't crash, but when it takes a long time (even the little windows 7 animation where the bubbles form the window is slow and seems to freeze) the system crashes after doing anything graphically-intensive.

Any ideas?

Q6600 OC to 3.0ghz
HIS 5770
8gb OCZ RAM
Asus P5N-D motherboard

Fromac

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Everything seems fine so far. I've been stable for 24 hours through gaming/rebooting/normal use. No idea what went wrong. I don't need to run the fan at 100% either.

Status
Not open for further replies.