[SOLVED] New 5800x idle 1.4v core volt default, doesn't seem right

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
Hi,

Recently upgraded from a 3600x to a 5800x and everything is set to default, so no overclocking.
My core voltage on idle doesn't drop below 1.4v and my idle temps are around 65c-70c, while gaming it hits 80c+. Using HWiNFO to monitor temps.

I have an AIO cooler ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360, which I assume would keep the temps at idle below 40c.

My motherboard is a X570 AORUS ELITE with latest bios F35, I have also reset the CMOS.

I'm running the latest chipset drivers 3.09.01.140 .

I have set the power options to AMD Ryzen balanced, with minimum process state to 0%.

I've tried reapplying the thermal paste and even tried two different ones (Thermal Grizzly and ARCTIC MX-4).

I was original using ICUE software but I have removed this.

I tried setting the core voltage from auto to normal in the bios this has only brought it down to 1.381v.

I am not sure why my temps and voltage are so high.

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Setting the vcore to 1.3 did reduce the temps slightly but also reduce the clock speed to 4.1Ghz

I feel there is something fundamentally wrong here as it shouldn't be running at close to the limit of the vcore at idle.
As you can tell, it's hurt your performance by setting a fixed voltage. What's worse is being fixed it also can't lower voltage when the CPU get's really hot in a heavy all-core workload so it can potentially cause it harm. Put it back to AUTO so it can work properly.

The way Ryzen works is to boost aggressively during light threaded workloads so it can return the core to a deep sleep and safe energy. When it boosts to max clocks it will also raise the voltage to as high as 1.5V for stability. Don't fret, the...
Hey there,

Why don't you set voltage manually? Just set it at 1.3v (with an offset) and see how the temps reduce. Then try a demanding program/bench and see if 1.3v is enough for load scenario. If not, bump to 1.31 and move up until you get a sweet spot.

It might be an idea to ensure you're running the most up to date bios. This may solve the issue.

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
Hey there,

Why don't you set voltage manually? Just set it at 1.3v (with an offset) and see how the temps reduce. Then try a demanding program/bench and see if 1.3v is enough for load scenario. If not, bump to 1.31 and move up until you get a sweet spot.

It might be an idea to ensure you're running the most up to date bios. This may solve the issue.

Hey,

Thanks. I'm currently on the latest bios for my motherboard F35.
Setting the vcore to 1.3 did reduce the temps slightly but also reduce the clock speed to 4.1Ghz

I feel there is something fundamentally wrong here as it shouldn't be running at close to the limit of the vcore at idle.

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
No it shouldn't.

Have you tried any of the other profiles? Chipset drivers up to date? This will ensure the Ryzen power plan is the most recent.
I dont have any other profiles available in the bios. But I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest AMD chipset drivers 3.09.01.140 with no lock.

As you can tell, it's hurt your performance by setting a fixed voltage. What's worse is being fixed it also can't lower voltage when the CPU get's really hot in a heavy all-core workload so it can potentially cause it harm. Put it back to AUTO so it can work properly.

The way Ryzen works is to boost aggressively during light threaded workloads so it can return the core to a deep sleep and safe energy. When it boosts to max clocks it will also raise the voltage to as high as 1.5V for stability. Don't fret, the CPU is designed for this and it's working as intended. As the workload gets harder and it gets hotter it lowers the voltage to as low as 1.2V, but with a lowered clock too. It's all as designed and working as intended.

Also check that your BIOS is up-to-date, and reset CMOS after updating.

Solution

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005

The way Ryzen works is to boost aggressively during light threaded workloads so it can return the core to a deep sleep and safe energy. When it boosts to max clocks it will also raise the voltage to as high as 1.5V for stability. Don't fret, the CPU is designed for this and it's working as intended. As the workload gets harder and it gets hotter it lowers the voltage to as low as 1.2V, but with a lowered clock too. It's all as designed and working as intended.

Also check that your BIOS is up-to-date, and reset CMOS after updating.

I've set it to normal. I'm on the latest bios version for motherboard F35. https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios (the F36c is beta bios). Also I have reset the CMOS too.
The main issue is for some reason it doesn't seem to go to deep sleep and safe energy in idle.

The main issue is for some reason it doesn't seem to go to deep sleep and safe energy in idle.
It is doing it, you just may not realize it does as it works so fast (100 times a second). Also, when in C6 deep sleep it can't report directly as doing so would take it out of deep sleep.

Get a monitoring utility called HWInfo64 and open the Sensors then look for a sensor reading called Core C6 Residency. It also shows you percent time spent in C0 (full power) and C1 (partial sleep). My guess is it determines C6 by inference; if it's not in one of the others all that's left is C6.

Reactions: Makaveli
I suggest you stop using the Ryzen power plan as my 5800X enters a low power state with the power plan set to Windows stock settings. The 5000 series CPU's are a different beast than the 3000 series and really doesn't need the Ryzen power plans IMO. It is normal for this CPU to hit 90°C under full load and there is nothing to be concerned with there. I see idle temps between 32°C - 45°C fluctuating with custom fan curves and a high airflow case also with custom fan curves.

I have seen core voltages as low as 0.92xxx on my system. specs in my sig.

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
It is doing it, you just may not realize it does as it works so fast (100 times a second). Also, when in C6 deep sleep it can't report directly as doing so would take it out of deep sleep.

Get a monitoring utility called HWInfo64 and open the Sensors then look for a sensor reading called Core C6 Residency. It also shows you percent time spent in C0 (full power) and C1 (partial sleep). My guess is it determines C6 by inference; if it's not in one of the others all that's left is C6.
Look at the core c6 residency I can see

PWJXOzA.png

View: https://imgur.com/a/9LmI1Gw

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
I suggest you stop using the Ryzen power plan as my 5800X enters a low power state with the power plan set to Windows stock settings. The 5000 series CPU's are a different beast than the 3000 series and really doesn't need the Ryzen power plans IMO. It is normal for this CPU to hit 90°C under full load and there is nothing to be concerned with there. I see idle temps between 32°C - 45°C fluctuating with custom fan curves and a high airflow case also with custom fan curves.

I have seen core voltages as low as 0.92xxx on my system. specs in my sig.
I have reinstalled the AMD chipset drivers and now the Ryzen power settings are not there only the windows one and I've set it to balanced.

Look at the core c6 residency I can see

PWJXOzA.png

View: https://imgur.com/a/9LmI1Gw
Look at the average column. For the short time you were monitoring, core 4 seems to be in C6 the least but the rest of the cores are spending quite a bit of time in C6.

Were you doing anything while running that? What do you have open and active besides your browser? Some things (like Corsair's ICue or NZXT's fan control software) can impose constant light load on the CPU.

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
So for the short time you were monitoring, core 4 seems to be in C6 the least but the rest of the cores are spending quite a bit of time in C6.

Were you doing anything while running that? What do you have open and active besides your browser? Some things (like Corsair's ICue or NZXT's fan control software) can impose constant light load on the CPU.
I've completely uninstalled iCue software and the only thing I have running apart from the browser is the Logitech g hub, Samsung magician and Kaspersky. Here is a expended version of hwinfo64
k9iLRG6.png

I've completely uninstalled iCue software and the only thing I have running apart from the browser is the Logitech g hub, Samsung magician and Kaspersky. Here is a expended version of hwinfo64
k9iLRG6.png
In that monitoring period the CPU Die (average) temp (that's the important temp sensor to know the thermal state of the CPU core die) was only 45C so it's not working hard.

Don't worry about the CPU temps that show a max of 80C. That's a short term hotspot as a core boosts, it goes away real quick but usually gets replaced by another as another core boosts a fraction of a moment later. The important temperature to follow is that CPU Die (average), which is an instantaneous average of the hotspot temps, especially it's average column over time when running a really heavy processing load.

With average CPU package power of 50W, though, I have to think it's doing something. Look for hidden background apps doing things you don't expect. Windows can be pretty active with it's own apps, but mine aren't that active. If you installed motherboard utilities from the mfr. that can happen.

Last edited:

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
In that monitoring period the CPU Die (average) temp (that's the important temp sensor to know the thermal state of the CPU core die) was only 45C so it's not working hard.

Don't worry about the CPU temps that show a max of 80C. That's a short term hotspot as a core boosts, it goes away real quick but usually gets replaced by another as another core boosts a fraction of a moment later. The important temperature to follow is that CPU Die (average), which is an instantaneous average of the hotspot temps, especially it's average column over time when running a really heavy processing load.

With average CPU package power of 50W, though, I have to think it's doing something. Look for hidden background apps doing things you don't expect. Windows can be pretty active with it's own apps, but mine aren't that active. If you installed motherboard utilities from the mfr. that can happen.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look on my background activities to see what's going on.
I do believe a cooler like the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 should be able to keep the CPU temps way below 40c on idle.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look on my background activities to see what's going on.
I do believe a cooler like the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 should be able to keep the CPU temps way below 40c on idle.
You may want to bump up the pumps rpms a bit to as this would help keep the CPU a little cooler. I personally don't let my pump run below 40% at idle but this is a personal preference that I have done for years. With the CPU temp readings dropping so fast with the Ryzen CPU's I like to leave the fans running at a higher speed for longer before dropping as the liquid is still heated and needs to cool still after a long gaming/heavy use scenarios. Case air flow also plays a big part in how cool the CPU will stay during idle and heavy use times. Your chip set temp is a big tell that you either have a program or two running constantly OR case air flow is low. At idle my chipset runs between 55-58°C with a fans speed of 0 when below 56 or so degrees.

Monitoring software, like HWinfo and the like, will poll at set times adding a spike in CPU usage when it requests updates but I have yet to see monitoring programs keep my X570 chipset at a higher temp.

I'd go further...an AIO pump should be on 100% or 12V all the time. It won't have any significant affect on temps at idle but any modern AIO pump should be quiet enough not to matter so just do it.

And on what basis do you assume your 360 AIO will keep it below 40's? The limiter isn't the cooling capacity, the limiter is the available surface area to transfer heat across. That's very small with 7nm geometry, and that's just the way it is.

Last edited:

limpep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
I'd go further...an AIO pump should be on 100% or 12V all the time. It won't have any significant affect on temps at idle but any modern AIO pump should be quiet enough not to matter so just do it.

And on what basis do you assume your 360 AIO will keep it below 40's? The limiter isn't the cooling capacity, the limiter is the available surface area to transfer heat across. That's very small with 7nm geometry, and that's just the way it is.

Unfortunately the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II has s single PWN which is connected to all 3 fans. However each fan is connected to the single PWN via their own PWNs. So I have disconnected the fans and using a 3 way splitter connected to the CPU OUT header, while the pump is connected to the CPU FAN header at max now. Seems to have improved the temp. At idle hitting about 42-50c.

But its not just the CPU plate, its the whole thick radiator which is attempting to move cool liquid around the AIO.

But its not just the CPU plate, its the whole thick radiator which is attempting to move cool liquid around the AIO.
I think you're confused...

there's only one pump in an Arctic Freezer AIO and it's in the water block on the CPU. The radiator does nothing to move the water, only the water block pump does that. The radiator dissipates heat from the water to the air with the help of fans blowing it through the fins. Some AIO's do put a pump in the radiator but not this one and they're very obvious as there's a big square block in the center of one of the fans.

You can turn the radiator fans up but I wouldn't run them very loud as it's not really needed right away. The reason is physics: water has immense capacity to absorb heat unlike the metal of conventional air coolers. So you don't need high air flow across the radiator until the water is close to saturation - which can be quite a while with the volume of water in a 360mm AIO. It takes a couple hours of maximum CPU performance in Prime95 for my 240mm AIO to get close to saturation with a PBO'd 3700X.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli