New 780 Ti, getting stuck on BIOS welcome screen

Jotun

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Hello, so I just installed a new 780 Ti (ASUS Matrix Platinum). What happens is, the PC will turn on, but it will hang quite some time on the BIOS welcome screen, where it tells me all the buttons and what not. Like usual, there will be a beep (that usually means the boot is successful), but the screen won't continue. It will hang for about 20-30 seconds, then there will be another beep. Then after 30 seconds another beep. And then after 20-30 seconds another, fourth beep, and then it will proceed to turn on.

I tested it by taking out the graphic card, and yes, it is the graphic card that's causing this.

Here are my specs:
Gigabyte Z77x-D3H motherboard
i7-3770
XFX 650w PSU
Corsair Dominator 8GB RAM

Oh and also, I can't seem to enter the BIOS. When I press the button to enter BIOS, after the 4th beep instead of loading BIOS there will just be a black screen.

Zand1s

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
got this from the manual
B. Configuring the BIOS and Installing the Graphics Card • i-Mode: Step 1: Connect the monitor cable to an onboard graphics port. Step 2: Enter BIOS Setup, go to Peripherals. Set the first output device to the onboard graphics and set the onboard graphics to always enabled. For example, for Intel motherboards, set Initial Display First to IGFX and Internal Graphics to Enabled. (Actual BIOS items may differ depending on motherboard models and BIOS version.) Step 3: Save the settings and turn off the computer. Refer to the "Installing an Expansion Card" section in the user's manual to install the discrete card on the PCI Express x16 slot. • d-Mode: Step 1: Refer to the "Installing an Expansion Card" section in the user's manual to install the discrete card on the PCI Express x16 slot. Step 2: Connect the monitor cable to the discrete card. Step 3: Enter BIOS Setup, go to Peripherals. Set the first output device to the discrete card and set the on- board graphics to always enabled. For example, for Intel motherboards, set Initial Display First to PEG and Internal Graphics to Enabled. (Actual BIOS items may differ depending on motherboard models and BIOS version.)

Jotun

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Well, I did that and now nothing works. Not saying that's the reason, but... Crap.

What happened was, I did everything you said, but that didn't solve the issue. The BIOS screen still hanged for a few minutes, but this time after the final fourth beep, it didn't turn on at all, but instead it was a black screen with a blinking white dash, top left of the screen. I left it like that for a few minutes, but nothing happened. I decided to restart it, but the restart button did nothing. Nor did the power button, so I cut off the power (by holding the power button for a few seconds). After that, however, it refuses to turn on. It will turn on, but be completely unresponsive without any beeps and without anything on the screen. Then after a minute or so it will turn off and then turn back on, etc. So uh.. help please? lol

Jotun

Honorable
Oct 13, 2012
Ok, now I turned it on again and this is wha thappened:
I got a long beep followed by 3 short beeps, then my screen suffered a seizure (colors started flashing really fast) and it turned off again. Then it restarted automatically and got to the normal BIOS welcome screen, but after that the screen suffered a seizure again and restarted but this time with a completely blank screen again. any help would be welcome....... (at this time the graphic card is disconnected and I'm trying to run the PC off the internal card)

EDIT: Somehoiw I managed to turn the PC on again by putting the old graphic card in, Now I'm not sure if the integrated "card" is broken, if the new card is broken or what? And I'm too scared to try anything out. So uh yeah, any help would be welcomed.

Zand1s

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
you want to make sure evry components is working perfectly and every connection is right. if you have a friend with a computer try your graphic card on his computer cpu and monitor see that they work.