Question New 7950x3D build

• Thread starter Deleted member 2838871
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2838871

Hey all... I built my 10900k/3090 rig in Jan 2021... and a couple weeks ago I went with the 4090 and 11900k for PCIE 4.0... the CPU upgrade was a net cost of $60 after selling the 10900k so with as much hate as I've seen towards 11th gen I did it anyway.

Well... 2 weeks later I'm thinking of just upgrading to the Ryzen 9 7950x3D. I do a mix of gaming and CPU intensive stuff... video encoding and editing of 6K drone footage and encoding of blu ray rips from my own collection. I'm aware the 7800x3D is the gaming CPU but as said I do a mix of that and productivity stuff.

I'm planning on keeping the majority of my current build... and upgrading the mobo, cpu and ram. I'd keep my current DD4 if I could... but that's not an option. Was looking at staying with MSI and going with a X670E board... and since it has 4 m.2 slots I'm gonna keep my 3x 970 Evo Plus 2TB drives and throw in a 2TB 990 Pro for a boot drive. I don't much care about the speed... the 970's are still beastly. Ram I was gonna go with 64GB DDR5 6000mhz (4x 16GB).

Even though I've had no issue with liquid cooling over the years I'm thinking of going with a Noctua air cooler with this upgrade... and the reason I'm not all that interested in the 13900k is due to the heat. The cost is minimal and I wouldn't have to worry about a pump anymore.

I don't see anything else changing... money isn't really an issue here I'm just thinking long term 5+ years. Total cost for the mobo, cpu, ram and cooler is about $1650 and I could probably get at least a few hundred of that back in selling the old stuff.

Thoughts? I've seen mostly favorable reviews on YouTube but I haven't owned an AMD CPU since the Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53ghz in 2001 so looking for the opinions of the seasoned Ryzen veterans. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hey all... I built my 10900k/3090 rig in Jan 2021... and a couple weeks ago I went with the 4090 and 11900k for PCIE 4.0... the CPU upgrade was a net cost of $60 after selling the 10900k so with as much hate as I've seen towards 11th gen I did it anyway.

Well... 2 weeks later I'm thinking of just upgrading to the Ryzen 9 7950x3D. I do a mix of gaming and CPU intensive stuff... video encoding and editing of 6K drone footage and encoding of blu ray rips from my own collection. I'm aware the 7800x3D is the gaming CPU but as said I do a mix of that and productivity stuff.

I'm planning on keeping the majority of my current build... and upgrading the mobo, cpu and ram. I'd keep my current DD4 if I could... but that's not an option. Was looking at staying with MSI and going with a X670E board... and since it has 4 m.2 slots I'm gonna keep my 3x 970 Evo Plus 2TB drives and throw in a 2TB 990 Pro for a boot drive. I don't much care about the speed... the 970's are still beastly. Ram I was gonna go with 64GB DDR5 6000mhz (4x 16GB).

Even though I've had no issue with liquid cooling over the years I'm thinking of going with a Noctua air cooler with this upgrade... and the reason I'm not all that interested in the 13900k is due to the heat. The cost is minimal and I wouldn't have to worry about a pump anymore.

I don't see anything else changing... money isn't really an issue here I'm just thinking long term 5+ years. Total cost for the mobo, cpu, ram and cooler is about $1650 and I could probably get at least a few hundred of that back in selling the old stuff.

Thoughts? I've seen mostly favorable reviews on YouTube but I haven't owned an AMD CPU since the Athlon XP 1800+ 1.53ghz in 2001 so looking for the opinions of the seasoned Ryzen veterans. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
For most work the 7950X3D should be faster than then 11900k. Especially when you get into anything that can use more cores. Since you are going to be doing video editing, that can easily suck up all the extra that an 7950 can give. Do you do more gaming or more CPU intensive stuff?

In terms of what you are looking at for the motherboard I would look into Tomshardware's best picks. https://www.tomshardware.com/best-p...e-best-amd-gaming-motherboards-x570-x670-b550

For the RAM do not go with 4x16GB. First you limit future expansion and second you might not get 6000MHz in a 4x16GB setup. Going with a 2x32GB is actually usually a little cheaper anyways. Looking at pcpartpicker shows you can get a 2x32GB 6600MHz for the same price as a 4x16 6200MHz, they didn't have 4x16GB at 6000MHz.
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6600 CL32 Memory ($284.99 @ Corsair)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR5-6200 CL32 Memory ($289.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $574.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-17 12:59 EDT-0400

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think if you were on the fence about going AMD, that right now IS the time to do it, being right on the first generation of AM5. This should leave a good number of years of upgrade path like AM4 did. I would pick a really good motherboard to start with, and probably consider as fast RAM as possible as well.

So, with that said....

My understanding is that the 10900K is actually a better performer in certain workloads than the 11900K. The 11th gen is a good CPU for gaming, and I am biased cause I have one. I picked up the 11600K pretty much on launch and then waited until Microcenter was clearing out the 11th gen chips and paid pretty much less than half, new. I know it hasn't been a very popular CPU, and I think a lot of that comes from the 10 core 10th gen and them rolling back to 8 on 11th in spite of the scale (nanometer) backport or whatever they called it. Mine does well enough for everything I use it for that I am satisfied with waiting a few generations to see where the market and performance go.

My personal experience with AM4 was "ok". I had some pretty significant issues early on in regard to RAM, stability, and BIOS revision. I sort of lucked out by taking the chance to update past the recommended BIOS point (by the manufacturer) and it actually made my system perform much better and rock solid stable. The aspect I didn't like was that as the chipset aged there started to be all those lingering issues caused by the grey area that was "Ryzen # ready" in regard to such as a 400 chipset and a 3000 or 5000 series CPU. It got REALLY muddy at the end and unless you happened to just keep 1st and 2nd gen CPU available -OR- purchased one of the BIOS flash capable motherboards (and knew how to do it correctly) it was basically just begging to be a "My computer turns on but no video output" thread.

So, as above...IF I were going to go Ryzen, which I am not inclined to do at this point, I would consider doing so on the first gen of AM5 and would KEEP that CPU for some years moving forward in case it turns into that BIOS quagmire again.

D

Deleted member 2838871

For most work the 7950X3D should be faster than then 11900k. Especially when you get into anything that can use more cores. Since you are going to be doing video editing, that can easily suck up all the extra that an 7950 can give. Do you do more gaming or more CPU intensive stuff?

I do about 70% gaming and 30% encoding/editing. I shoot a lot of footage with my 6K drone and every time I buy a blu ray disk (I have 1000+ in my collection) that doesn't include a digital copy I rip and encode my own.

As for parts... in addition to the 7950x3D this is what I was looking at.

I actually have 2 slots free right now... but 64GB is pretty much all I've ever needed so I don't much care about future upgrading... don't think that will ever happen.

Good reviews on NewEgg. My build is a simple black/white scheme with white light. I'm not into RGB Skittles computers.

I've heard so many good things about Noctua. Maybe now is the time?

Thanks for chiming in!

I think if you were on the fence about going AMD, that right now IS the time to do it, being right on the first generation of AM5. This should leave a good number of years of upgrade path like AM4 did. I would pick a really good motherboard to start with, and probably consider as fast RAM as possible as well.

So, as above...IF I were going to go Ryzen, which I am not inclined to do at this point, I would consider doing so on the first gen of AM5 and would KEEP that CPU for some years moving forward in case it turns into that BIOS quagmire again.

Thank you very much. I was thinking the same thing. Jumping into Ryzen now at the 1st gen of AM5. I read something about support through 2025.

Another reason I'd pass on the 13900k. We know that 14th gen will be hotter and require a new socket.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I am interested in knowing, if you don't mind sharing (you gave us an idea) but what did you sell the 10900K for and on what sales platform?

I sold it on eBay for $275... and paid $335 for the 11900k. I lost a few dollars with eBay fees but it was still pretty easy. Didn't get anywhere on any other selling platform.

Will most likely do the same with the 2 week old 11900k. I don't much care about taking a loss... I chalk it up as a cost of changing my mind.

Reactions: punkncat
I do about 70% gaming and 30% encoding/editing.
Going with the 7950X3D makes more sense than the 7950 then. Had your usage been swapped then going with the 7950 over the 7950X3D would make the most sense.

I actually have 2 slots free right now... but 64GB is pretty much all I've ever needed so I don't much care about future upgrading... don't think that will ever happen.
Even if you don't need to upgrade, you have a better chance of having the RAM work at 6000MHz in 1 DIMM Per Channel than you do with 2 DIMMs Per Channel. The other problem would be not buying RAM in a quad DIMM kit. Even if you buy 2 of the same type at the same time you cannot be assured that it will work with 4 sticks from 2 dual DIMM kits.

Good reviews on NewEgg. My build is a simple black/white scheme with white light. I'm not into RGB Skittles computers.
Looks like a fine motherboard and will probably be great.

I've heard so many good things about Noctua. Maybe now is the time?
Noctua makes great coolers. However, when it comes to cooling the 7950X I would look at the Noctua D15 if you have the space.

D

Deleted member 2838871

Even if you don't need to upgrade, you have a better chance of having the RAM work at 6000MHz in 1 DIMM Per Channel than you do with 2 DIMMs Per Channel. The other problem would be not buying RAM in a quad DIMM kit. Even if you buy 2 of the same type at the same time you cannot be assured that it will work with 4 sticks from 2 dual DIMM kits.

I'd prefer to stick with G.Skill... and https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Xg...ddr5-6000-cl30-memory-f5-6000j3040g32gx2-tz5n looks like a good option?

Noctua makes great coolers. However, when it comes to cooling the 7950X I would look at the Noctua D15 if you have the space.

Is this the non-ugly version?

I'd prefer to stick with G.Skill... and https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Xg...ddr5-6000-cl30-memory-f5-6000j3040g32gx2-tz5n looks like a good option?
Looks fine. That said you won't see any performance difference between 6000 CL30 and 6000 CL32. Therefore saving the $25 for this makes sense in my opinion. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BJ...ddr5-6000-cl32-memory-f5-6000j3238g32gx2-rs5k

Is this the non-ugly version?
Yes that is the non-ugly version. The biggest problems with the DH-15's comes from RAM height and making sure your case has the right clearance. Your case will need to allow for coolers with at least 165mm height. https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

D

Deleted member 2838871

Looks fine. That said you won't see any performance difference between 6000 CL30 and 6000 CL32. Therefore saving the $25 for this makes sense in my opinion. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BJ...ddr5-6000-cl32-memory-f5-6000j3238g32gx2-rs5k

You're right. It makes sense to me too... but I literally just ordered it from Newegg without realizing there was a slightly cheaper option.
Yes that is the non-ugly version. The biggest problems with the DH-15's comes from RAM height and making sure your case has the right clearance. Your case will need to allow for coolers with at least 165mm height. https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

Sounds good. I ordered both this one and the other one from Amazon just in case. I have a Fractal Meshify 2 case and it's pretty big... so I don't anticipate any problems. I will install this one first and return the other assuming there's no issues.

PCPP shows no issues with my parts list.

Thanks a lot for the tips! Looking forward to AMD for the first time in 22 years! Will post follow up once I get the parts swapped!

Sounds good. I ordered both this one and the other one from Amazon just in case. I have a Fractal Meshify 2 case and it's pretty big... so I don't anticipate any problems. I will install this one first and return the other assuming there's no issues.
With that case you have plenty of vertical height according to the specifications.
  • CPU cooler max height
    185 mm

D

Deleted member 2838871

With that case you have plenty of vertical height according to the specifications.
  • CPU cooler max height
    185 mm

Excellent. Will return the 120mm cooler then. Odd how it was more expensive but the 140mm definitely makes more sense.

Everything is arriving tomorrow and I will follow up once I'm up and running.

Thanks again!

D

Deleted member 2838871

Hopefully you will have enough clearance on the RAM. If not the CL32 I mentioned has a lower profile heat spreader so that could be a choice.

Ugh! You would have to say that! LOL

I did see a build on PCPP that had a similar MSI board with that cpu/ram and cooler so maybe I'll get lucky and the clearance will be good.

Will find out tomorrow.

Reactions: jeremyj_83
D

Deleted member 2838871

Parts just arrived... ended up getting the CPU for $671 thanks to the NewEgg $27 rebate... and changed my mind on the SSDs... rather than keep my 970's I just went ahead and got 4x of the 2TB 990 Pros to go with the 2x 32GB DDR5 6000 sticks and D15 cooler.

Plans are to sell my 11900k, Z490 mobo, ddr4 ram, 3x 2TB 970 SSDs and Z73 AIO cooler as one package if I can. Someone will get a solid start on a build.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2838871

Hopefully you will have enough clearance on the RAM. If not the CL32 I mentioned has a lower profile heat spreader so that could be a choice.

She's up and running... no issues to report. I did have ram clearance... barely. This Noctua is huge... :ROFLMAO: I like it already though.

Working on installing software and tweaking the next few days... will follow up with pics and benchmarks.

She's up and running... no issues to report. I did have ram clearance... barely. This Noctua is huge... :ROFLMAO: I like it already though.

Working on installing software and tweaking the next few days... will follow up with pics and benchmarks.
With the size of that cooler you can understand why I was worried about RAM clearance. However, that big cooler will have the guts to cool the 7950X3D going all out and stay quiet. Glad it is up and running.

D

Deleted member 2838871

With the size of that cooler you can understand why I was worried about RAM clearance. However, that big cooler will have the guts to cool the 7950X3D going all out and stay quiet. Glad it is up and running.

Yeah it was exciting to hit that power button and boot for the first time. I updated the BIOS and then installed Windows without a hitch. I should be good to go for 5+ years with this build... that's what I'm planning to do anyway but not ruling out a CPU upgrade down the road. Glad I'm back with AMD at the beginning of the AM5 cycle. Makes perfect sense.

I saw a video last night from Jayz that said that 4 sticks of ram wasn't a good idea. How ironic. :LOL: Not sure what I was thinking either... my Intel rig had 2 sticks as did the one before it. Anyway, thanks for the advice on that and the cooler.

I'm really liking the cooler too. Yes it's huge but I like it... and it's super quiet. Nothing against water cooling but it's nice to have one less thing to worry about now.

I didn't do much last night but install some software and have a busy day today but will get some more done tonight and the next few days. An initial 3DMark run showed an impressive improvement over the 11th gen Intel CPU... but I have more testing and tweaking to do.

Just glad I didn't have any problems with the build! I should have a build profile up on PCPP this weekend and will follow up with that and some benchmarks.

Thanks again!

D

Deleted member 2838871

You weren't kidding. I did some more work on the PC last night... I've got most of my software installed and did a few stress tests on the system.

I ran a CPU burn 100% all core for 30 mins and temps peaked at 86C with the D15 fans at 1480rpm and was super quiet.

The Noctua has officially impressed me.