New Acer Displays Have Near-Zero Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

paladinnz

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2012
"According to Acer, the frame is actually 0.8-inches thin" if you follow the link you'll find that Acer says that the frame is 0.08 inches.
Only out by a factor of 10 Toms, keep up the good work!

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i liek acer monitors, i have one i would buy more but thier thin lightweight ones usually lack a versa mounting plate, bout to buy 2 more monitors and this is the oen thing stoppign me from buying them hopefully they will release some with that feature as the site indicates this does not

now we are getting somewhere! The problem with bezzels is that you always have 2 of them side by side, but at .08" we are finally getting to the point where it would not be as big of a deal. Personally I would like to see 1/10th of an inch between screens, which would mean .05" bezel on each, but I understand that is asking for a lot. Surely we could make screens thicker and move some of the backlighting behind the screen instead of being edge lit?

The other issue is size, resolution, and price. Looking at some of these nice korean 'black market' monitors on ebay really has me itching as you can get a good 27-30" IPS monitor at 1440 resolution for well under $200. Sure, there is no warranty, but for the price you can pick up 4-5 of them before you approach the cost of an HP or Dell screen. I currently run a 28" monitor at home and duel 26" monitors at work, and I would love to have 3 screens at that size at a higher resolution... but I am not about to pay $1K+ for each of them.

[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]MHL ? Yet ANOTHER connector and cord, what ever happened to the idea of a single unified cable?[/citation]
MHL is just a HDMI cable with a few extra pins to charge the connected device, my understanding is that it is backwards compatible with standard HDMI devices, so you still have a single unified cable.

Omniblivion

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Does anyone know where to find accurate pictures of this monitor? All of the pictures I've seen show a clear gap between the image and the edge of the frame... much more than "0.08 inches". Even the picture in this article (and on Acer's website!) shows a clear gap.

[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]MHL ? Yet ANOTHER connector and cord, what ever happened to the idea of a single unified cable?[/citation]

When was that ever a reality? Firewire is the closest example that I can think of and they aren't even updating it properly anymore.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]Omniblivion[/nom]Does anyone know where to find accurate pictures of this monitor? All of the pictures I've seen show a clear gap between the image and the edge of the frame... much more than "0.08 inches". Even the picture in this article (and on Acer's website!) shows a clear gap.[/citation]

Yeah, would love a picture of this monitor.

anon8172

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
[citation][nom]Omniblivion[/nom]Does anyone know where to find accurate pictures of this monitor? All of the pictures I've seen show a clear gap between the image and the edge of the frame... much more than "0.08 inches". Even the picture in this article (and on Acer's website!) shows a clear gap.[/citation]

Yeah. Click the link and look at the drawing on the last picture on the bottom of each product page, for a zoom in view. No idea why they don't just take a picture of their own amazing looking product. Probably not really in production.

Undertuned

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Arrrghh...
1080p is for this years cellphones with 5" displays.. When can we expect backlit IPS 24" pc monitors with 2560x1600 (or higher) for a reasonable price, say $300, from Acer, Dell, Hp and the other respectable displaymakers?
Even the Nexus 10 sports 1600p @ 10" with a pricetab of $300 (and that includes the CPU, GPU, memory etc.)

seinfeld

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]now we are getting somewhere! The problem with bezzels is that you always have 2 of them side by side, but at .08" we are finally getting to the point where it would not be as big of a deal. Personally I would like to see 1/10th of an inch between screens, which would mean .05" bezel on each, but I understand that is asking for a lot. Surely we could make screens thicker and move some of the backlighting behind the screen instead of being edge lit?The other issue is size, resolution, and price. Looking at some of these nice korean 'black market' monitors on ebay really has me itching as you can get a good 27-30" IPS monitor at 1440 resolution for well under $200. Sure, there is no warranty, but for the price you can pick up 4-5 of them before you approach the cost of an HP or Dell screen. I currently run a 28" monitor at home and duel 26" monitors at work, and I would love to have 3 screens at that size at a higher resolution... but I am not about to pay $1K+ for each of them.[/citation]

they are already making curved screens , which will get rid these dual monitor B's (unless you run apps etc that need it) F1 companies run these curved screens in their simulators

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
[citation][nom]Undertuned[/nom]Arrrghh...1080p is for this years cellphones with 5" displays.. When can we expect backlit IPS 24" pc monitors with 2560x1600 (or higher) for a reasonable price, say $300, from Acer, Dell, Hp and the other respectable displaymakers?Even the Nexus 10 sports 1600p @ 10" with a pricetab of $300 (and that includes the CPU, GPU, memory etc.)[/citation]
Good luck with that but Apple does have a nice monitor if you have the bucks. 2560-by-1440 27"

[citation][nom]susyque747[/nom]Good luck with that but Apple does have a nice monitor if you have the bucks. 2560-by-1440 27"[/citation]

If I wanted a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 display, I'd get an el cheapo Korean model. They're more than worth the savings over the often several times more expensive models from popular companies.

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
[citation][nom]paladinnz[/nom]"According to Acer, the frame is actually 0.8-inches thin" if you follow the link you'll find that Acer says that the frame is 0.08 inches. Only out by a factor of 10 Toms, keep up the good work![/citation]
I thought something was wrong with that figure, considering my budget Asus MS226H has a 0.8 inch frame, and it's certainly far more than "almost nothing".

G

If you look carefully at the picture of the monitor, it really has an 0,8 " frame; perhaps this news is 10 years old :)

Status
Not open for further replies.