New added HDD slows BIOS check and system load time

guncha550

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I've recently added WDC Green power 1TB Hard Drive to my system, and it makes barely noticeable ticking sound every two seconds, but that's not the only problem, the biggest one is that it rapidly slowed down BIOS check time down to 3 minutes, and system loaded in 30 minutes only, I bought this hard drive second hand from highly trusted shop, but then I got another surprise that BIOS and Windows doesn't see the hard drive at all, where could I be looking in order to solve this issue?

My system is MSI Z77A G43
CPU is Intel Core i5 3570
RAM is 16GB Corsair Value Select 1333Mhz
SSD Intel 60GB ~3 years old
Hitachi 500GB ~2 years old
GPU Palit GTX650 1GB

Nothing has been overclocked except GPU.

Solution

Well, I'm truly sorry to hear about that, it must be really disappointing. :(
I'd strongly recommend you not to buy second-hand hard drives next time though, I believe there are great deals with new HDDs as well. You just need to keep an eye out for those. :)

Best of luck with everything! Hope we...
Hey there, guncha550!

I'm very sorry to hear about your issues with the WD Green. :( However, you shouldn't have bought a second-hand hard drive.
I'd suggest you to try the drive on another computer and/or using a different SATA cable. You might as well swap the SATA ports, see if it will work on another one. The goal is, at least, BIOS to recognize the drive so you could test it.
If you could successfully get it detected by Windows though, you should download the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=2uU3Y5
In case only BIOS is able to recognize it, here is the DOS version of the utility: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=GXjyd3

Make sure you pass the extended test, because it will show the SMART status of the WD Green.
If none of these work, my guess is the drive has failed.

Keep me posted though!
SuperSoph_WD

guncha550

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
No I swapped 15 cables, tried even those that originally came with the mobo, nothing worked, and BIOS doesn't even see the hard drive, and the hard drive isn't even on the list, it should be on 3rd SATAIII port, but it shows that it's empty as nothing is connected to it.

The drive is definitely bricked and can be thrown out of the fifth floor, to meet it's final death.

But at least it's not a big loss, I bought it on discount for 15€

Well, I'm truly sorry to hear about that, it must be really disappointing. :(
I'd strongly recommend you not to buy second-hand hard drives next time though, I believe there are great deals with new HDDs as well. You just need to keep an eye out for those. :)

Best of luck with everything! Hope we were helpful!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution