[SOLVED] New am5 mobo will not boot usb or bios update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 19, 2022
I finished my most recent build and I have at a complete loss of what is causing my new build from booting my usb windows install. I will try my best to explain what I have tried to troubleshoot before even asking for help.

When I turn the computer on, and I go into the Bios I am able to see my nvme 2TB, my Ram, bootable usb and I tell the bios to boot usb 1st. But after saving the change my screen will softlock at POST screen (unable to press F12, DEL) I will reset and If I press F12 during initial load of POST I can enter BIOS just fine. I changed from the front IO ports to the mobo USB ports and no changes with the locking..... I reset the RAM sticks and tried every slot (A2, B2,A1,B2) they are all read inside bios no matter the location. I removed the CPU and made sure no pins were bent and CPU is well coated with thermal paste. A search result with Aorus mentioned that sometimes CSM support->Storage boot Option Control to legacy needed to be enabled, but everytime I enabled CSM support my POST screen would never show up and I would have to use the reset pins on the mobo to regain access.

The oddest abnormality was, after many resets, I was able to get the Windows 10 install to appear! It saw the Solidigm nvme and began the installation, and after it finished and restart...it froze on the POST screen once again and I have not been able to repeat the windows screen since....

I then began to believe the (Solidigm NVMe) was the problem (never heard of this brand to begin with...) so I purchashed an Samsung 970 EVO... and inside the BIOS I am once again able to see the nvme just fine but still soft lock on POST. I began to try other nvme slots on mobo but that was a bust also.

The other abnormality was the VERY first boot up a screen that said...

New CPU installed. fTPM/PSP NV corrupted or fTPM/PSP NV structure changed.
Press Y to reset fTPM. If you have Bitlocker or encryption enabled, the system will not boot without a recovery key.
Press N to keep previous fTPM record and continue system boot. fTPM will NOT enable in new CPU, you can swap back to the old CPU to recover TPM related keys and data

I clicked "Y" and I have not seen that screen appear again since then....

I also have tried updating the Bios to F2 and F3c but every time when I click the reboot button the screen with freeze and lock up and the mobo will not update and still show the original revision F1

This is everything I can remember trying after two days of troubleshooting... I have opened a support ticket with Gigabyte believing it is the Mobo

Part list
  1. Gigabyte b650 Aorus Pro AX ATS AM5 Motherboard
  2. G.Skill flare X5 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36
  3. Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB Nvme
  4. Solidigm P41 Plus Series 2TB Nvme
  5. Asus ROG STRIX G 1000W 80+ Gold PSU
  6. AMD Ryzen 5 7600x
  7. ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO CPU cooler
  8. 5700xt ASROCK GPU

Solution
Well, hopefully the new board will resolve the problem then. Maybe something is just not playing nice with something else.

For the record, if you only have one DIMM installed, you should NEVER need to put it anywhere other than the A2 slot (For boards with four DIMM slots) and if you have two DIMMs you should never have to put them anywhere other than the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots to the right of the CPU socket. If you have to install the memory in any other slots for it to work properly then there is either a problem with the CPU, the motherboard or the CPU cooler is cocking the CPU in the socket because it's tighter on one side or in one corner than the rest of the way around the socket.
Dec 19, 2022
I can try this when I get home, what exactly will be trying to accomplish with this? I have orderd a msi b650 and try a whole different brand. But I would like this Mobo to be my choice,but not for this headache.

Dec 19, 2022
I did as instructed, and normally after a long shutdown the aio cooler lights normally turn on but I am getting no POST and the ez debug led stops on DRAM.
update
I tried ram slot A1 and changed to A2 and the aio lights turn on and now the debug stops on Boot I am able to get into bios like I have been before. Nothing different than what has already occurred.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully the new board will resolve the problem then. Maybe something is just not playing nice with something else.

For the record, if you only have one DIMM installed, you should NEVER need to put it anywhere other than the A2 slot (For boards with four DIMM slots) and if you have two DIMMs you should never have to put them anywhere other than the A2 and B2 slots, which are the second and fourth slots to the right of the CPU socket. If you have to install the memory in any other slots for it to work properly then there is either a problem with the CPU, the motherboard or the CPU cooler is cocking the CPU in the socket because it's tighter on one side or in one corner than the rest of the way around the socket.

Reactions: LastProrican
Solution
Dec 19, 2022

I really am grateful for all your help trying to resolve this, I relieved that this is not coming from any short coming due to me. I will give one last update and see if the msi b650 will resolve this issue.

Dec 19, 2022
LAST UPDATE
The new motherboard from MSI B650, I was able to boot directly into windows install on FIRST TRY! I just have no idea what was the problem or culprit I am using exactly same parts as the gigabyte mobo.... truly disappointed with gigabyte!

And yet, the Z690 board I'm using now, the X570 board on my garage system, and four out of the last six boards (Both Intel and AMD chipsets) I've used to build systems for other people have ALL been Gigabyte boards. Sometimes you just get a piece of hardware that refuses to play ball with a certain board model or BIOS. But I'm certainly glad you were able to get it sorted out.