[SOLVED] New AMD CPU vs Intel i5 8500?

Mar 18, 2020
Hi guys,

Hope you're all well.

I have an interesting question that i would like some suggestions for.

I currently have an I5-8500 CPU, at the time that i built my pc i was kind of on a budget and considered this as the best pick (more than a year ago).

I knew that, at that time, there were some interesting AMD's out there already (but chose to ignore them for the time being, maybe it was silly).

The question is - would it be worth it, purely for gaming and nothing else (streaming, editing etc, just low usage office work) to get a new AMD Processor? (for example, the AMD Ryzen 3900X or even the 3700X?) (or of course another???)

I won't overclock at all, so i'm looking at the best out-of-the-box performance.

I do realize that this would also mean that i would have to change my Mobo, so therefore another expense.

From what i can gather, i can keep all my other parts.

My configuration is:

- Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus B360M Gaming 3
-Processor: Intel I5 8500
  • Ram: 2x Kingstom HyperX Fury Black 8 GB DDR4
  • 1 Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU Cooler (also compatible with AMD).
  • 1x Kingston A400 500G SSD
  • 1x 1TB HDD WD Blue
  • 1x Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC GPU
  • 1x Deepcool Tesseract BF Case
  • 1x 650W 80+ Gold nJoy Woden PSU

If my judgement is right, i can keep all the above except the CPU and Mobo. I'm willing to replace these with something high end and keep the new CPU and MOBO as a solid basis for future upgrades.

What do you think?

Cheers!

Solution
What SSD of that type would you recommend?

On the GPU side, i already have the Gigabyte GeForce rtx 2070 Gaming OC :D

Depends on how much you want to spend. Any of these would be ok, for just a gaming rig.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.49 @ Adorama)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A60 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $432.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly You are the best judge of what's needed. Im still running a i7-3770k @ 4.6GHz and it's plenty for anything my wife does, and most of what I do. It wasn't until this last year, when my focus shifted from mostly single/story mode in my mmorpg to Operations and World Bosses etc. The sheer amount of AI involved with 16-24 other team players is unreal and can drop my fps into the 5-10 range at times, from the 90+ I'm used to. And that went from 3 thread usage to 8 threads used when that happens.

So I'm upgrading by necessity. The 8500 is no slouch, and would do just fine in single/story mode, but with the Op's and WB's you'd be in the same boat as me. Your 6 threads not being enough to maintain fps, even with your higher IPC.

So you'd need to judge, is your cpu strong enough to do what you need it to do, or is upgrading more of a 'want', because moving to 1440p from 1080p really does not affect a cpu all that much for the most part, it's pretty much all on the gpu.

Reactions: Quanticriver
Games are limited either by the cpu or the graphics card.
I would judge that you are relatively well balanced.
Much depends on the types of games you play.
Fast action games want a good graphics card.
cpu centric games want good performance on the single master thread.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Your motherboard will support a processor upgrade as strong as a i9-9900K
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B360M-AORUS-GAMING-3-rev-10/support#support-cpu
If you opt for something very strong like a 9700K you will also need to buy a decent cpu cooler.
I suspect that a simple cpu change will be more economical than switching to ryzen as well as a new motherboard.

Mar 18, 2020
Hi,

I will only be using it for gaming and light office work, so i want it to work as well as possible for gaming :D

I was thinking about getting a Kingston A2000 with 1TB of space and moving the games from the old HDD to this new marvel of technology, i think that should be helpful in the way it will work from then onward and hopefully eliminate stuttering?

I've already got installed the Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro4 which is marvelous at keeping the CPU cool, i could transition this for an AMD processor as well.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd. The only Intels worth buying for any longetivity are the higher end models with 12 threads or more. Games are using 6-10 threads Now, depending on the game, tomorrow expect that to climb as new releases get more and more evolved and involved. Even the 7 year old mmorpg I play has had enough upgrades, DC's, Expansions etc to swamp my 8 thread i7 and reduce it to 5-10fps.

Next years CoD, Tom Clancy, Witcher 4, BF6, Mechwarrior 7, Tomb Raider II etc will just bury it entirely.

Still, out of curiosity and if money wouldn't be the decisive factor, would you go with a good intel cpu or a new amd? Purely for gaming.
Until today, I would have opted for Intel.
With the IPC increase in the ryzen 5000 series, I am not so certain.
I will wait for rocket lake and decide.

Regardless, put your money first on a strong graphics card. Particularly at >1080P resolution.
Plan on spending at least 2x the cost of the processor on the graphics card.

logainofhades

Titan
Hi,

I will only be using it for gaming and light office work, so i want it to work as well as possible for gaming :D

I was thinking about getting a Kingston A2000 with 1TB of space and moving the games from the old HDD to this new marvel of technology, i think that should be helpful in the way it will work from then onward and hopefully eliminate stuttering?

I've already got installed the Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro4 which is marvelous at keeping the CPU cool, i could transition this for an AMD processor as well.

SSD would help your load stuttering for sure. I wouldn't go with Kingston though.

logainofhades

Titan
What SSD of that type would you recommend?

On the GPU side, i already have the Gigabyte GeForce rtx 2070 Gaming OC :D

Depends on how much you want to spend. Any of these would be ok, for just a gaming rig.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.49 @ Adorama)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A80 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Silicon Power A60 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $432.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-09 09:52 EST-0500

Solution
Mar 18, 2020
Thanks for the recommendations :)

I quickly checked some reviews done by this website as well, what i noticed between the two (Kingston A2000 and the ADATA XPG) is that the Kingston model works on DDR4 while the ADATA works on NANYA DDR3, there is also a difference in the memory - Kingston has Micron 96L TLC while the ADATA has Micron 64-Layer TLC.

From the reviews, it would seem that the Kingston actually performs better in most areas, except the read/write part where it clearly has lower specs, but that shouldn't be an issue in my case.

The Crucial P1 seems to be even a bit slower than the Kingston from the reviews and the Silicon Power A80 looks the same overall (lower to Kingston).

So i'm curious, what makes those SSD's better than the Kingston? I'm trying to get into the small details here as there is where the devil lies :D

Thanks a lot!

logainofhades

Titan
I have a distrust of Kingston quality, and they have been a bit shady, on the SSD front, in the past. The XPG 8200 pro is really one of the fastest PCIE-3.0 drives you can buy. It trades blows with the Samsung 970 Evo. It also got editor's choice, in its TH review. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-ssd,5955-2.html

For a gaming only rig, though, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference, performance wise, among all of them, unless you are transfer large game files from one drive to another. I only use an Intel 660p myself. After some research, I found out I really didn't need more than that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM4P4RrExJ0

Your motherboard supports a m.2 pcie ssd.
It is about the size of a stick of gum and fits into a motherboard slot.
No power or data cables required.
My pick if you do not have budget restrictions would be a 1/2tb samsung 980 PRO.
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-1tb-980-pro/p/N82E16820147790
A more economical option would be the 970 evo +

https://www.newegg.com/samsung-970-evo-plus-1tb/p/N82E16820147743?&quicklink=true

While these are the best, the truth is that ANY ssd is going to give you a big boost.
A ssd is some 40x faster in random I/O and perhaps 4x faster than a 10k sata HDD.

If you want to compare ssd devices in excruciating detail, go to the anandtech ssd bench.

I might add that Samsung has a very good ssd migration app that will move your windows C drive to their ssd device.
Here is a link to the manual and app.