New AMD GPU Tech Speeds Video Conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

nice innovation on AMDs part... hopefully nvidia will stop being a resource pig... and actually come out with something ground breaking again

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
so their proving that this tech not only works with amd processors, but also intel. very nice. it seems that their trading a small loss in the cpu market for a potential bigger gain in the gpu market.

i hope everything works out better than expected, it might give them some much needed income to catch up a little to intel.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
w00t this is awesome, way to go guys... don't you love when your stuff just keeps getting better? but the time saved is really amazing, i can't wait for their version... will this simulate upconversion like on some dvd players?

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Its interesting that they chose such a fast processor for comparison, to get a better difference woulldnt a slower processor or dual core have been better?

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Nice, but until a common solution for both ATI and Nvidia is reached, applications for Cuda and ATI Stream will remain few and far between. If you remember, there was this guy, Eran Bandit, trying (and succeeding to some degree) to run Cuda on ATI cards and strangely enough, it was ATI not showing any support with Nvidia actually helping out ( http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/cuda_running_a_radeon ).

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Its interesting that they chose such a fast processor for comparison, to get a better difference woulldnt a slower processor or dual core have been better?

its also interssting that they used an intel processor...hmmm..

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Hopefully Nvidia will wise up and make a similiar software as an added value for its customers. Then agian, I brought a cheap geforce 9800 gso for less than $50. So I don't expect anything.

G

Cyberlink and arcsoft??
Meh. Show me some Adobe, Autodesk or Avid products using it and I will care.

Both the 3xxx and 4 xxx series can do this, and its free, unlike badaboom. Im sure using a slower cpu will show slower times, but this config shows its 17x faster, so even if it lost half its time on a slow dual core, still 8x faster, and its free

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"It’s interesting that AMD chose not only an Intel CPU, but Intel’s most powerful CPU for this comparison. Most consumer rigs have far less horsepower under the hood, so we look forward to testing this, and making a comparison to what Nvidia has to offer, on more mainstream hardware." AMD never had any problem admitting the current intel top models are better than their best ones. Everyone knows that. It's not really a problem though, as AMD appearently didn't intend to compete at the very top.

G

I don't understand why is everybody so excited about AMD using INTEL procesor to demonstrate it's ATI card power.
If they used an AMD processor, everyone would have been complaining the test is biased because of use of slow processor.
It's seems like a wise choice from AMD in my opinion.

G

@ Dokworm Uhh... wasn't there just a plugin released for Adobe cs4 which added CUDA support for nVidia cards that support the feature...? amd having support for applications which can use the stream process in video encoding is a nice catch-up, hopefully Tom's will make some type of shoot-out article.

Kari

Splendid
I wonder how big role the cpu actually has in this acceleration thing, would a system with a slower cpu show even larger gains when comparing conversion with and without the gpu stream thingie. Or is a fast cpu needed to feed the gpu with all the data it needs to run at full speed?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Kari[/nom]I wonder how big role the cpu actually has in this acceleration thing, would a system with a slower cpu show even larger gains when comparing conversion with and without the gpu stream thingie. Or is a fast cpu needed to feed the gpu with all the data it needs to run at full speed?[/citation]
Can't be sure but I think a slower cpu would create more of a difference. Assuming all the actual encoding can take place on the gpu, the cpu would only be in charge of delivering and storing data.

godmode

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
i can't help but think that this is an indirect challenge to the up coming core i7 CPUs by making the GPU a little more desirable upgrade as opposed to a CPU upgrade.

either way, this sounds great. i wonder if it scales with multi GPU setups as well?

da bahstid

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Would be nice also if you can configure your system to choose which card does what, which NVidia's currently able to do. I'd love to recycle my 3800 cards for physics or whatever while keeping my 4800 cards dedicated to graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.