Question New ASUS RT-AX5400 router keeps needing a reset ?

Feb 6, 2024
Nearly a month ago I bought an ASUS RT-AX5400 router to replace my ancient RT-N66U router because the N66U was no longer receiving firmware updates and it kept needing reset at least once or twice a week because the internet would suddenly get laggy and unstable, sometimes disconnecting entirely.

Well, as I said, I've been using the RT-AX5400 for nearly a month now and everything was completely fine at first and I was amazed at the internet speeds I was now getting, but now it's started doing the same thing as the old N66U where I have to reset at least once a week because it starts getting laggy and unstable and last night completely disconnected until I reset it.

So the obvious thing here is that I'm guessing it's not the router and something else about my current wireless setup. I have nothing fancy, just Spectrum cable internet , and I'm using only that router which connects through a modem. The modem is at least 7 years old itself, so I'm wondering if that could be my whole issue. Or maybe even an old coaxial cable. I have no idea.

What do you guys think?

I guess it depends on what you mean it completely disconnects. Is this both wifi and ethernet. Can you get into the router admin pages when this happens. What do the logs show. Does it look like the wan interface drops.

Asus routers have quite a few test tools. When it is in a broken condition see if the router itself can ping say 8.8.8.8

It the router itself is being disconnected it might be a issue with the internet to your house. If this is only a wifi problem then you start to suspect maybe neighbors using wifi interfering. It should not affect both 2.4 and 5 at the same time though

Reactions: NotEvil
Feb 6, 2024
I guess it depends on what you mean it completely disconnects. Is this both wifi and ethernet. Can you get into the router admin pages when this happens. What do the logs show. Does it look like the wan interface drops.

Asus routers have quite a few test tools. When it is in a broken condition see if the router itself can ping say 8.8.8.8

It the router itself is being disconnected it might be a issue with the internet to your house. If this is only a wifi problem then you start to suspect maybe neighbors using wifi interfering. It should not affect both 2.4 and 5 at the same time though
What I mean by disconnecting is that all devices on WiFi will suddenly lose internet until the router is reset. I'm not sure about ethernet, but I do know that the pc on ethernet also suffers from the same laggy and unstable behavior. Yes, I can still get into the router admin page. I just looked at the logs and I have no idea what I'm looking at or supposed to be looking for.

Feb 6, 2024

Pastebin log The board wouldn't let me just paste the log here, so here's a link .

It isn't the entire thing, but this seems to be around when I reset. I also have no idea why the date changes from April 25th, to May 5th, back to April 25th.

It is highly unlikely you have a cat5 cable it has been many years ..getting close to 20..since they were manufactured. It costs the same to make cat5e so it is likely cat5e. Changing ethernet cables is a easy thing to try though.

The logs you post I am not sure it seems to be very close to the time it was rebooted. The router uses some other date until it is booted and gets the real time and date.

The only thing strange I see are messages related to roaming but this might be the router cleaning up garbage from before it was rebooted. Next time it acts up I would try to connect to the router via ethernet before you reset it.

You really need to determine if the problem is just wifi or if you are having issue on ethernet connected machines. When it affects everything you then start to suspect the internet connection. It really is very different things you look to try to fix or change.