Question New ASUS Z690 hangs on restart

Feb 20, 2022
New build using ASUS ProArt Z690. No post when exiting the BIOS with or without saving. When in the BIOS fans are running at minimum RPM, when hung before post fans run at around 50%, drop like it it going to post, then ramp up again (endless cycle). Despite the problem decided to try and install MS Win using USB just to see if it would boot to something other than BIOS. Crashes after hitting install after the regional settings and gets stuck same as a restart.

Doesn't post / never gets to numlock on using the reset. Always posts after powering off and back on.
  • BIOS has been updated to current (v1003, 2022/01/27) and default settings enabled.
  • Processor and memory specs absolutely correct in BIOS.
  • Single M.2 drive is recognized in BIOS.
  • Temps are low, fans and AIO are recognized and adjustable.
  • Does allow executing full MemTest86 from BIOS.
    • 4 of 4 passes with no errors / doesn't crash.
    • BIOS recognizes memory as 5200MHz (correct), MemTest86 runs using DDR5 default of 4800 (actual test was just over 4800).
Testing a very basic hardware config before we build 6 systems. Before I spend time clearing CMOS, moving DRAM around, and touching memory settings, I am wondering if this issue is known and or perhaps I should be looking elsewhere.

Intel 12900K
XPG Lancer 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 5200 CAS 38 (38-38-38) installed in DIMM_A1 and B1
Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB installed in M2_1 (processor, PCIE 4.0 x4 mode)
Phanteks AMP 750W PS
Video is being driven off the on-board using the HDMI port (nothing plugged into board other than listed + front panel, fans, AIO).

Edited: Just realized I fat fingered the proc and included an extra digit (129600). Would be interesting if not a little tough to keep cool... Fixed.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022
Hi mate, same here. How did you fix?

By the way I am totally disappointed by the asus proart z690. I planned to build a hackintosh, truenas, windows all in one system in a Fractal Define 7 case. The only board fitting my needs seemed to be the ASUS ProArt Z690. I opted for the i9 12900K, CPU Cooler from Corsair iCue H150i LCD, 2x32GB DDR5 RAM from Corsair, 6x 8TB SATA HDD for a Z1 RAID, 1x 16TB SATA HDD for mirroring and other stuff and finally, 6x 1TB M.2.
I know that if adding the 4th M.2 to the board would disable SATA 5-8 and therefore bought an ASUS extender (Gen-4). I ended finding out that the mainboard only supports 1 additional M.2 in an extender! This is very disappointing so I have to rework on my system to find the best fit with what the board can provide. Ironic that the older boards can do bifurcation and allow more M.2 on the extender.

If you guys have an Idea/solution...happy for every input.