[SOLVED] New b450 mobo won't load past win7 logo

Jan 10, 2020
bOlJHNt.png
Hey everyone. This has given me a week of headaches now. I upgraded the motherboard of an old hp system to a steel legend b450 to use a ryzen5 chip and ddr4 ram. I'm trying to minimize the rig because it won't load past the win 7 logo and causes a reset loop. The startup recovery option freezes. I tried using lan and the uefi to upgrade the drivers but it gives no feedback. 3200 MHz ddr4 ram. I have to use an rx970 sapphire graphics card because the onboard HDMI isn't outputting for some reason. Everything else on the chassis and Mobo is powered and running. I caught the error on a vid frame.

Solution
The best place to start is all your specs. There are a lot of Ryzen 5 CPUs a lot of DDR4 RAM, and I'm not sure what an rx970 is (RX 570? GTX 970?). Being specific is important.

From your description, a few problems jump out.

First, you need to do a full wipe and reinstall of Windows. Unless you have a very specific Windows-to-Go install, it's not designed to be used as a modular install, something you just slap in another PC. Sometimes you'll luck out and Windows will figure it out, sometimes it will appear to work and you're chasing weird bugs for months, and sometimes it will not work at all.

Second, unless your CPU is the Ryzen 5 3400G or the Ryzen 5 2400G (which is one of the many reasons it's important to be specific), you...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The best place to start is all your specs. There are a lot of Ryzen 5 CPUs a lot of DDR4 RAM, and I'm not sure what an rx970 is (RX 570? GTX 970?). Being specific is important.

From your description, a few problems jump out.

First, you need to do a full wipe and reinstall of Windows. Unless you have a very specific Windows-to-Go install, it's not designed to be used as a modular install, something you just slap in another PC. Sometimes you'll luck out and Windows will figure it out, sometimes it will appear to work and you're chasing weird bugs for months, and sometimes it will not work at all.

Second, unless your CPU is the Ryzen 5 3400G or the Ryzen 5 2400G (which is one of the many reasons it's important to be specific), you don't have any integrated graphics, so it wouldn't be surprising.

Third, you really need to be on Windows 10. For many of the CPUs (again, you need to specify), ASRock's Windows 7 drivers do not support their use. Again, don't know your CPU. It's time to move on from Windows 7 anyway; security updates literally end this Tuesday.

Reactions: Biomechanic2010
Solution
Jan 10, 2020
Thanks- I'll give the Win 10 install a shot first. I suppose I assumed since there was an onboard HDMI that it was something the Mobo processed regardless of the CPU.

It's a Ryzen 5 2600.
Ram is XPG Z1 DDR4 Memory- 8GBx2 3200 MHz PC4-25600
The graphics are a Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5- it's my other comp thats a 580, and I got them confused, sorry.

TRENDING THREADS