New battery is working fine but showing 0%

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
So I got a replacement battery for my HP nx7300 laptop.

When I plug in the charger, it shows as charging for a few seconds and then stops, says 0% available.

Thing is, when I unplug the charger it runs away fine so obviously the battery is working, it's just that Windows isn't reading the charge. I ran the HP-Assist application and it also says 0% and when the AC is unplugged I'm getting a negative current reading! Last check it was -1165mA.

I've tried all the usual things like uninstalling the driver in Device Manager but it makes no difference.
The laptop won't boot without the ac plugged in either, it just gives 8 flashes on the power light, so I'm thinking it's not just a Windows issue..

I know of some hardware doesn't like 3rd party batteries.. like some Nikon cameras need firmware fixes to get batteries working.. wonder if it's a similar issue?

Any ideas?

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
Some laptop battery packs have a built in chip that communicates information to the laptop,without this chip the charger circuit in the laptop cannot report the correct level of charge and the laptop will not charge the battery.
If your battery is not a genuine HP battery then it most likely will not have that chip.
I am not aware of any workaround though it may be worth some googling.
I suspect the only real solution is to buy a genuine battery (which I suspect is the real reason for Dell and HP doing this kind of thing)

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Ah right, thanks for the reply.

Yea, maybe that's it..

The HP assistant seems to be able to read most of the battery stats alright though. It says the battery is ok, reads the voltage of the battery and of the individual cells, amount of discharges etc..
But I'm not sure really, maybe it's not charging it AT ALL, and it's only running off the charge that it came with?

I'll keep searching and messing around with it anyway