Question New Build – Help with CPU Temps and RAM ?

Nucleus01

BANNED
Jun 14, 2020
Hi folks,

Can I get some advice on a system that my son and I have just put together for video encoding/editing plz? We are by no means hardware techies.

Case: Fractal Define R6 (USB-C)
Motherboard: Asus Prime X570 Pro
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x (Stock Wraith Cooler)
RAM: 32Gb (4x8 Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz- CMW16GX4M2C3600C18)
GFX Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1550 Super
PSU: Corsair HX570i

Have updated the BIOS from 1005 to current 1407, installed AMD chipset drivers and set AMD Ryzen High Performance in Windows power plans. Windows 10 LTSC.

CPU Temp: When under load during an x264 encode, the CPU Temp is hitting 94/95, which I understand is too hot for sustained periods? By disabling PBO in the BIOS it’s reduced to max 87/88. Do I need to decrease voltages or such like to bring temp down, increase case fan speeds to get more air in, etc? Is the stock Wraith Prim cooler sufficient? Obviously I'd like to try BIOS tweaks before any cooling upgrade. As an encoding machine it will obviously be under high loads.

CPU Auto Boost: Have very little understanding of it. Before disabling PBO I followed this video and mine didn’t boost? Has anyone got a link for non techies to try and understand it plz?

RAM: Chose RAM as it was on the Asus QVL. It shows in BIOS as 2133Mhz, when enabling D.O.C.P it shows in Ai Tweaker as 3600Mhz, is this correct, do I need to chage anything?

Two Screenshots: 1st = PBO enabled. 2nd = PBO disabled.

TIA.

Edit: Installed Ryzen Master software, didn't have a clue what any of it meant! Seen a couple of reviews saying it's become overly complex for non techies like me.

01.png

02.png

Last edited:

Nucleus01

BANNED
Jun 14, 2020
Get a better cooler, such as a 280mm AIO.

The stock cooler is really not adequate for the 3900x in order to prevent thermal throttling.

Is the Wraith fan switch set on high, comes stock on the low setting.

The stock cooler on the 3900X has a reputation for being underpwerd for such a large CPU. A cooler upgrade is the best solution...

Thank you for your help and advice, its appreciated. ;)

It seems very clear that the stock Wraith Prism cooler just isn't up to the job with a 3900X. As mentioned in OP, and not being a hardware techie, I've ceased encoding until the CPU temps are under control. I read a post elsewhere on this forum regarding 3900X where someone advised that if you can run it under load at 80 (much less than mine - currently) for 15 minutes you're okay, you guys would agree with that? I assume I may then also see the auto boost feature working, surely it's related to temps in some way?

The Wraith speed controller switch, pretty sure it's in the "middle" position, however, looking at it now with the AMD logo in upper left corner, it looks like the switch is underneath making it awkward to get to with a gfx card in place! Not bothering as it seems clear that better cooling is a must.

Looked at air cooling and it seems the Noctua NH-D15 would be the way to go (apparently there's an all black model now). But I like the look of (and reviews of) Corsair Hydro H100i. Just looked through my case manual and as I need the optical drive bay I'd have to use the 2 fan 240mm model in the link. I assume that would deliver the temperature drop needed, I know it's sales jargon but they do say "built for extreme CPU cooling"? I'm edging towards ordering it tomorrow morning, never done it before but pretty confident of doing it, added bonus that I'd also be able to mess around with it in the iCUE software for my Corsair RAM.

Do plz advise if you consider it may not be up to the job - TIA.

I'd just follow this guide to fitting it in my case.

And the RAM as mentioned in OP, that's all correct? Thanks so much for your advice so far. ;)

Edit: Sorry, what do you use to clean the old thermal compound off the CPU?

Last edited:

Nucleus01

BANNED
Jun 14, 2020
I read a post elsewhere on this forum regarding 3900X where someone advised that if you can run it under load at 80 (much less than mine - currently) for 15 minutes you're okay, you guys would agree with that?

Edit: Despite that below, initial excitement is over. Temps still hitting the 90's when encoding. A better cooler it is a must.

I've still no understanding of auto boost but would really appreciate some more knowledgeable types taking a look over this screenshot plz and assuring me I am understanding the huge temp drop correctly (screenshots for comparison in OP)? Still with stock Wraith cooler atm. Been adjusting fan speeds in the BIOS and set the 3 chassis fans to Turbo and the CPU fan to Full Speed (they only spin up that under load). I ran an AIDA64 stress test on the CPU for 15 minutes - screenshot below.

stresstest.png

Last edited: