New build. 6700k worth 100$ difference?

Tommynew

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
I have to buy mobo, ram and cpu.
If i build a 4790k with z97 and ddr3 i can save 100€.

But maybe its better to go with z170 because i have to buy everything and z97 is at the end of its life.

What do you think?

Solution
I personally don't feel it's worth it. Anymore than I think an i5 6600k would be worth 100 anything (maybe pesos) over the one before it. The performance improvement per gen is typical, nothing extraordinary.

The new platform has a few advantages, though ddr4 being one of the biggest in reality has little real world impact. Faster m.2 support is nice, if you use m.2 drives. No feature is a benefit if it goes unused, though if planning to take advantage of it can be a perk. End of life is a bit relative. No platform lasts long, a couple of cpu releases and none of which are worth really upgrading to. Typically people stick with what they've got.

For instance no one really upgraded a sandy bridge i7 to an ivy bridge i7. Haswell required...

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Telling us the value of €100 is useless if we don't know your overall cost... You might be wanting a 500€ z170 board for all we know.

Comparing a fully matured CPU and a new one is not very fair IMO. It may be 7% now, but take a look at the earlier z97 CPU for a realistic long term comparison. You will be paying for the future, you just need to invest some time and more dough into it :)

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
I would absolute NOT pay that much extra for the 6700k. If you want to pay extra, you could get the 6 core is 5820k and X99 for the same price as the 6700k if not cheaper.

The 6700k is way overpriced right now. I feel it's because of lack of competition from AMD.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Stock performance is nearly identical due to the 4790k's 200mhz clock advantage. I believe he was comparing them clock for clock. The 6700k enjoys a roughly ~7% advantage in single core performance assuming the same clock speed.

I personally don't feel it's worth it. Anymore than I think an i5 6600k would be worth 100 anything (maybe pesos) over the one before it. The performance improvement per gen is typical, nothing extraordinary.

The new platform has a few advantages, though ddr4 being one of the biggest in reality has little real world impact. Faster m.2 support is nice, if you use m.2 drives. No feature is a benefit if it goes unused, though if planning to take advantage of it can be a perk. End of life is a bit relative. No platform lasts long, a couple of cpu releases and none of which are worth really upgrading to. Typically people stick with what they've got.

For instance no one really upgraded a sandy bridge i7 to an ivy bridge i7. Haswell required a new socket, new motherboard. Boards don't have the longevity they once did, in order for z170 to be 'future proof' means you're considering dumping the brand new 6700k for the 6770k (or whatever comes out next on the 1151 platform). That's not an upgrade, but an expensive side grade. The 4770k to 4790k was very little difference. Not enough to bother with the time to swap the chips.

Either one would be perfectly viable, either one would easily last several (3, 4, 5) years. By then something entirely new will be out with a whole new board, chipset, features etc. Enough to make what people call 'future proof' now look like ancient history which only proves that future proof is a myth.

Solution

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
Because of the fast advancement, future proofing IS just 5 years nowadays! Being outdated is more a reality than a horror story :)

Also, the 5820k is another 10% on top of the 6700k price, not cheaper.

What it comes down to is are you gaming on it, or cpu intensive programs? i5/i7

And if gaming, do you want an m2 sometime in future? Haswell/Skylake

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015

Exactly. I can't wait to get an m2 and USB 3.1 gear, but if not your paying for shiny new features that'll do nothing more