[SOLVED] New build, absolutely must update BIOS in this case?

WarChicken

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
I'm going to be using an MSI Pro B660M-A DDR4 mobo and an I5-12400f. But PCPartPicker told me this :

"Warning: The MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard supports the Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor with BIOS version 7D43v11. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU."

So I searched about whether or not I could tell what BIOS was pre-installed and read it may be listed on the board somewhere....and mine says "17D43-1.0". That looks to be the closest thing to the version numbers listed on MSI's site, and again this one is apparently what is necessary to run this cpu : "7D43v11"

Does it seem like I'm right in guessing from the #'s I'm seeing that this mobo has the old v1.0 BIOS instead of the v1.1 I need?

Or is this method of trying to figure this out beforehand all wrong? Should I just build everything, turn it on, and see what happens? If I need to update the BIOS I will now at that time (by only having a black screen I think I've read?).

Just being careful after hearing the horror stories of bricked mobo's after unsuccessful BIOS updates. And I'm still a bit of a noob :p

Solution
its possible it will work with version 10, you would be wise to update bios after
link
you don't have bios flashback option so no chance of updating without CPU.

bios updates pretty reliable now. Just don't do it during a thunderstorm or any time you might lose power mid flash.

Colif

Win 11 Master
its possible it will work with version 10, you would be wise to update bios after
link
you don't have bios flashback option so no chance of updating without CPU.

bios updates pretty reliable now. Just don't do it during a thunderstorm or any time you might lose power mid flash.

Reactions: WarChicken
Solution

WarChicken

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
Thank you very much. I'll report back as soon as I get around to completing the build. I'll have to ask at least one more question regarding transferring Windows, so I'll go post that in the Windows 10 section.

A motherboard will come with the latest bios available at the time of manufacture.
The latest bios(released 2022-07-11 ) supports next gen processors; that will be gen13. Your processor is gen 12.
7D43v11 was released on 22-03-21.
Go ahead and start your build.
In the bios display you will see what level you actually have.
In the event that you got a very old motherboard, return it for an exchange.

Once running, I will not update a bios unless it fixes a problem that is impacting me.
But, on a new build where the impact of a update failure is minimal, I will update the bios to currency.
When you update the bios, be very patient.
It may look like nothing is going on for 5 minutes; DO NOT interrupt the process.

Last edited:

WarChicken

Honorable
Aug 4, 2017
It's up and running. Fresh Windows 10 installed via USB on the new M.2 SSD. Internet won't connect though.

I'd like to update the thread and say everything is all good, but I'm not actually for sure that anything BIOS related will pop up as I'm still working to get it going (as I get time).

Catch 22:
No internet/download lan software/ No internet to do so.

I had this problem with a MSI Z690 A PRO.
I could see that the lan hardware was installed and active via display manager.
The fix was to install the msi driver install utility.
It found the appropriate lan driver.
https://www.msi.com/blog/auto-install-your-driver-software-with-msi-driver-utility-installer-udi
If you have wifi, that is easy.
Otherwise, you may be able to use usb tethering and a smartphone to get the job done.
USB tethering is a new one to me, here is an explanation: