[SOLVED] New Build advice and suggestions.

Jan 20, 2022
Hello, Knowledgeable people!

If has been around 13 years since i built my current PC and it is now starting to struggle more and more with updates and just the amount of stuff it needs to handle, due I think just to the age of the parts and the compatibility as time moves along. It has some issues.. (It has forgotten it even HAS a Ethernet port :S So I am having to use the net wirelessly, connecting to a hub that is wired to the router in another room (thick walls do not help) It is time to retire her. :( She has done well though.

Ideally I am looking for a PC that will cope better, will last well and will connect to Ethernet! LOL I am online a lot and often use my dual screens both split into two with many apps and programs running alongside watching the TV and playing Runescape (not via Steam) or Civilization or similar (via Steam).

I don't need Bells and whistles.

Would like to be able to play CD's or DVD's. That's it really, Budget as you can see is not huge.. but it is what it is.

Thanks x

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP Although willing to wait for a few months if necessary.

Budget Range: £1000.00 Max

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Net usage.. LOT of! often have a low res game, TV and several other windows and apps open at once.

Are you buying a monitor: No. I have Dual HDMI Monitors currently and would like to continue to use them.

Parts to Upgrade: Absolutely everything.. apart from keyboard and mouse. I currently use a Wired Logitech K120 Keyboard that works perfectly fine. I see not reason to change it. And I am (SORRY) a lover of a trackball mouse. Currently a Kensington Obit. Which if possible I would like to keep

Do you need to buy OS:
No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference

Parts Preferences: No Real preference but I have only used AMD in the past.

Overclocking: Not needed

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe.. I never have up till now and I don't use Graphics heavy stuff.

Your Monitor Resolution: Dual1920x1080,

Additional Comments: no need for any bling. Would still like a CD/Rom drive. and many many many USB connection points.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My Current PC is now just very VERY old. (AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.31 GHz) with 8GB RAM and is just not dealing with the amount of stuff I generally have on the go at any one time. I think I need higher RAM and more cores.. It just needs to be able to think faster. lol

Last edited:
Solution

If has been around 13 years since i built my current PC and it is now starting to struggle more and more with updates and just the amount of stuff it needs to handle, due I think just to the age of the parts and the compatibility as time moves along. It has some issues.. (It has forgotten it even HAS a Ethernet port :S So I am having to use the net wirelessly, connecting to a hub that is wired to the router in another room (thick walls do not help) It is time to retire her. :( She has done well though.

Ideally I am looking for a PC that will cope better, will last well and will connect to Ethernet! LOL I am online a lot and often use my dual screens both split into two with many apps and programs...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
As with many other requests of this nature, we have to give you the blanket "horrible time to buy a GPU" statement. You could readily spend that budget on nothing aside from a mid-field GPU.

If you are dead set on AMD, the answer is going to be a Ryzen based system. R7 5700G would be my go to suggestion. You should be able to build out a nice system with that budget so long as you are happy playing the games you have at a lower resolution/quality. I honestly think the G skew would run Civ just fine.

Reactions: DottyBird

kanewolf

Titan

Ideally I am looking for a PC that will cope better, will last well and will connect to Ethernet! LOL I am online a lot and often use my dual screens both split into two with many apps and programs running alongside watching the TV and playing Runescape (not via Steam) or Civilization or similar (via Steam). I don't need Bells and whistles. Would like to be able to play CD's or DVD's. That's if really, Budget as you can see is not huge.. but it is what it is. Thanks x

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP Although willing to wait for a few months if necessary.

Budget Range: £1000.00 Max

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Net usage.. LOT of! often have a low res game, TV and several other windows and apps open at once.

Are you buying a monitor: No. I have Dual HDMI Monitors currently and would like to continue to use them.

Parts to Upgrade: Absolutely everything.. apart from keyboard and mouse. I currently use a Wired Logitech K120 Keyboard that works perfectly fine. I see not reason to change it. And I am (SORRY) a lover of a trackball mouse. Currently a Kensington Obit. Which if possible I would like to keep

Do you need to buy OS:
No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference

Parts Preferences: No Real preference but I have only used AMD in the past.

Overclocking: Not needed

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe.. I never have up till now and I don't use Graphics heavy stuff.

Your Monitor Resolution: Dual1920x1080,

Additional Comments: no need for any bling. Would still like a CD/Rom drive. and many many many USB connection points.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My Current PC is now just very VERY old. (AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.31 GHz) with 8GB RAM and is just not dealing with the amount of stuff I generally have on the go at any one time. I think I need higher RAM and more cores.. It just needs to be able to think faster. lol
I agree with @punkncat the AMD 5700G with a set of 3200 or 3600 speed 32GB RAM.
Something like this --
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($318.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.55 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($71.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $730.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-20 11:19 EST-0500

Reactions: DottyBird
Solution
I dont know, seems doable to me;

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (£173.00 @ Infinite Computing)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler (£43.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£130.96 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£50.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£68.40 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Fighter Video Card (£439.79 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: BitFenix Nova Mesh SE ATX Mid Tower Case (£45.44 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£59.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1011.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-20 18:55 GMT+0000

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
As with many other requests of this nature, we have to give you the blanket "horrible time to buy a GPU" statement. You could readily spend that budget on nothing aside from a mid-field GPU.

If you are dead set on AMD, the answer is going to be a Ryzen based system. R7 5700G would be my go to suggestion. You should be able to build out a nice system with that budget so long as you are happy playing the games you have at a lower resolution/quality. I honestly think the G skew would run Civ just fine.

I have heard that the supply chain issues we've been seeing lately should be working themselves out by the summer time - that is of course if everything goes smoothly and there's no other surprises lurking like another virus variant. If you're willing to wait that long then that might be a good option. I just hope NVIDIA and AMD do everything they can to keep the merchandise out of the hands of scalpers and bots. Though if you're just playing strategy games like Civilization you don't really need a GPU for that. I agree with the Ryzen 5700G option - you get a strong CPU with pretty decent built in graphics and you can add a GPU later on.

This is what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($318.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($208.80 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($147.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1077.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-01-20 19:20 EST-0500